ASTRO: 4038/9, Antenna, Ring Tail, Clam Shell, whatever

Old March 30th 07, 08:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: 4038/9, Antenna, Ring Tail, Clam Shell, whatever

This was one I had to go for even if it was below my normal cutoff of
-15 degrees. As expected seeing was rotten and transparency poor, fog
from the lake really does a number on me when shooting low. So the
"antenna" didn't show well but the star forming regions are nice and
bright so I have something to show for the effort. It took some heavy
processing to bring out the tails due to all the extinction.

There are two asteroids in the image as well. That surprised me
shooting down there with the ecliptic 18 degrees above this galaxy pair.
The bright one at upper left is 15297 1992CF at mag 16.4 and the
other low and left of center is 54283 2000JG48 at mag 17.2. It shows
about as bright as 18.5 asteroids higher in the sky indicating I had a
good 1.3 magnitudes of extinction due to fog over the lake. It's
amazing the photo came out as well as it did.

Clouds did it to me again. I'd planned on three rounds of shots for a
total of 18 5 minute lum shots and three in each color but after the
first round seeing was far worse and clouds were in and out forcing me
to stop. So color data was severely limited and noisy. I'm amazed it
worked at all.

The puff of light directly below the galaxies and right on the bottom
edge is due to a bright star hitting the very edge of the CCD and
scattering in across it. I thought I had it just out of the FOV but not
out far enough. Any more and I'd have lost the end of the lower tail.

If you look closely you can see that lower tail appear to turn back at
the very end and point right back to the galaxies. I thought this noise
but see it in the POSS 2 plates as well. In 3D it may be due to a
corkscrew tail. I'm only guessing here.

14" LX200R@F/10, L=6x5' RGB=1x5' all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC4038_6X5RGB1X5R1.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	576
Old March 31st 07, 12:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
TheCroW

Ok, yaw drop here (again) :-)
Very cool photograph!!

Menno

Old March 31st 07, 04:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

TheCroW wrote:
Ok, yaw drop here (again) :-)
Very cool photograph!!

Menno

Thanks, I have one more coming I like even better but still working on
it -- M101, it's huge.

Rick

Old April 3rd 07, 01:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

............. So the
"antenna" didn't show well but the star forming regions are nice and
bright so I have something to show for the effort. It took some heavy
processing to bring out the tails due to all the extinction.

Great image Rick! Nice job bringing out those tails.

In my one shot of this pair I was looking for an IR supernova (2004gt), so I
did not process for the tails.

......and then there's the HST image:
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/arc...mat/large_web/

George N

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n4038s.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	586
Old April 3rd 07, 03:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

You had a lot better seeing than me. That supernova was in one of those
HII regions of star formation. It's a much dimmer red knot in my shot
now that it is history.
Rick

Old April 3rd 07, 11:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

The main bodys look really good which more than makes up for the fainter
tails. These southern objects are tough, I usually don't even bother to try
a shot at them.

Stefan

Old April 6th 07, 04:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Rick

when you post those huge rez images the SBCGLOBAL server blocks them

I get the tease of knowing you posted one but don't get to see them :-0(

Old April 6th 07, 06:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

This wasn't one of the big ones. My normal half size 2004x1336 image.
Way too low for seeing and really too low for this resolution. Great
Bear Solar Observatory gets good seeing from their lake, mine doesn't
seem so cooperative.

Try:
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/webrings/astro.html

Most go there. For older images click on the A on one of my images.
That goes back farther.

Rick

Richard Crisp wrote:

Rick

when you post those huge rez images the SBCGLOBAL server blocks them

I get the tease of knowing you posted one but don't get to see them :-0(

"George Normandin" wrote in message

"Rick Johnson" wrote

............. So the
"antenna" didn't show well but the star forming regions are nice and
bright so I have something to show for the effort. It took some heavy
processing to bring out the tails due to all the extinction.

Great image Rick! Nice job bringing out those tails.

In my one shot of this pair I was looking for an IR supernova (2004gt), so
I did not process for the tails.

.....and then there's the HST image:
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/arc...mat/large_web/

George N

ASTRO: Ring of Fire - Crater Proclus reconair Astro Pictures 0 March 30th 07 04:26 PM
Solar Shell Williamknowsbest Policy 75 February 2nd 07 08:57 AM
Clam Mass 10/22/06 Supernova sun clam wrath Part 4 Double-A Misc 18 November 21st 06 03:08 AM
Clam Mass 10/29/06 Supernova sun clam wrath Part 5 Vrinag the irascible bailiff-disarmer Misc 0 October 30th 06 11:18 AM
Daily #4038 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 January 30th 06 03:18 PM