Venus Observed

Old January 10th 06, 02:57 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Venus Observed

Venus was only about 8 degrees from the sun when I managed to spot it, a
few minutes before local sunset. I was using 8 x 50 binoculars, standing
in a spot where the sun was obscured. The crescent shape was obvious in
binoculars - and the crescent was almost horizontal, like the moon when
it "holds water". It was not easy to keep Venus in view, even using
binoculars. I could not see it naked eye.

Location: just east of San Diego, CA.

Skies: extremely clear.

Time 4:52 PM PDT, Jan. 9 (00:52 UT 10 Jan 2006). Local sunset was at
4:58.

Venus passes inferior conjunction on Jan. 14.
--
Robert Sheaffer - User name "Roberto" at debunker-dot-com
Skeptical to the Max!

Old January 10th 06, 04:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Congrats Robert !

One of the people at Griffith Observatory imaged it about a week ago, a thin
crescent.

Venus is gone from the evening sky, and Mars might as well be. About 10
arc-seconds and counting down. I managed to image it last Saturday:
http://mysite.verizon.net/res07oeg/id19.html

Not much in the original image, so I took a chance and electronically enlarged
it 4x, not to show more details, but to make those that are there easier to see.

At least Saturn is starting to make its evening run.

--- Dave
Pinprick holes in a colorless sky
Let inspired figures of light pass by
The Mighty Light of ten thousand suns
Challenges infinity, and is soon gone

Old January 10th 06, 12:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Robert Sheaffer" ha scritto nel
messaggio news:SmFwf.8574$jR.5278@fed1read01...

Venus was only about 8 degrees from the sun when I managed to spot it, a
few minutes before local sunset. I was using 8 x 50 binoculars, standing
in a spot where the sun was obscured. The crescent shape was obvious in
binoculars - and the crescent was almost horizontal, like the moon when
it "holds water". It was not easy to keep Venus in view, even using
binoculars. I could not see it naked eye.

Location: just east of San Diego, CA.

Skies: extremely clear.

Time 4:52 PM PDT, Jan. 9 (00:52 UT 10 Jan 2006). Local sunset was at
4:58.

Venus passes inferior conjunction on Jan. 14.

Hi Robert; Venus is very interesting; the diameter is huge and the phase is
very very small. I imaged the planet, few days ago:
http://www.danielegasparri.com/amate.../venus_big.jpg .
Even it is very close to the sun, it's quite easy to observe during the day.
--
Daniele Gasparri
Perugia (Italy)

Old January 10th 06, 03:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 13:59:32 +0100, "Daniele Gasparri"
wrote:

[...]

That's a nice image Daniele. Unfortunately in the UK the weather has
been awful for quite some time and doesn't look like improving any
time soon

Interestingly, this conjunction takes it to about 5.5 degress from the
Sun. The closest I ever got was 2.75 degrees just before the transit
in 2004 http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/recent/...60604_1523.jpg.

Prior to this my closest was ~13 degrees taken on the 30th May 2004
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/recent/Ven300504a.jpg.

It's a beautiful planet when it gets to such a thin crescent isn't it?

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old January 10th 06, 07:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

wrote:

That's a nice image Daniele. Unfortunately in the UK the weather has
been awful for quite some time and doesn't look like improving any
time soon

Thank you Pete! The weather was bad here too; it was cloudy for 25 days
consecutives! it's a record here!
Now it's clear for 5 days, and it should be clear at least for another week,
so I can try to image Venus again. I hope the weather improve soon in UK!

Interestingly, this conjunction takes it to about 5.5 degress from the
Sun. The closest I ever got was 2.75 degrees just before the transit
in 2004 http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/recent/...60604_1523.jpg.

that's a very good image! Last year I tried to find venus few degrees from
the sun but I didn't succeed; I will try again!

Prior to this my closest was ~13 degrees taken on the 30th May 2004
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/recent/Ven300504a.jpg.

It's a beautiful planet when it gets to such a thin crescent isn't it?

Yes, it's very beautiful; and it's impressive how it is large and
contrastated even with the Sun locaded at few degrees!At the eyepiece was
amazing; I've never seen a so small phase! I will try again!Too beautiful!

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk

--