Telescope makers and leftists

Old February 17th 05, 09:49 PM
RichA

Default Telescope makers and leftists

I here a group of enviro-nitwits
are trying to get teflon banned.

http://www.ewg.org/issues/PFCs/20050202/index.php
-Rich
Old February 17th 05, 10:10 PM
Shawn

RichA wrote:
I here a group of enviro-nitwits
are trying to get teflon banned.

http://www.ewg.org/issues/PFCs/20050202/index.php
-Rich

Not too slick Rich, this is the amateur astrogeek news group.

Shawn
Old February 17th 05, 10:53 PM
Dusty

I-95 was backed up for 6 miles the other day and it must have been all the
18-wheelers carrying Teflon Oh yeah, every other auto was a SUV, you
know the ones that will raise the sea next year! Maybe we should ban the
banners, huh?

DustyTeflonDon

Old February 17th 05, 10:56 PM
Dave Deming

They should also get the dangerous chemical, dihydrogen monoxide
banned. It has caused many deaths through inhalation of the substance.
Millions of dollars are spent each year to combat it's corrosive
properties, as well.
A truly dangerous material, loose in the environment with little or no
regulation.
Dave

Old February 17th 05, 11:00 PM
Shawn

Dusty wrote:
Nawh, it';s really an astro-duffus group.

I think either shoe fits.
Old February 17th 05, 11:21 PM
Shawn

Dave Deming wrote:
They should also get the dangerous chemical, dihydrogen monoxide
banned. It has caused many deaths through inhalation of the substance.
Millions of dollars are spent each year to combat it's corrosive
properties, as well.
A truly dangerous material, loose in the environment with little or no
regulation.

Little or no regulation? Colorado has a whole court system for its
regulation.
http://waterknowledge.colostate.edu/divs_h2o.htm
I agree though this stuff can be dangerous, especially in the hands of
bureaucrats and developers.

Shawn
Old February 17th 05, 11:54 PM
Thomas Womack

RichA wrote:
I here a group of enviro-nitwits
are trying to get teflon banned.

http://www.ewg.org/issues/PFCs/20050202/index.php

It's not a well-written article, but the impression I get is that
they're trying to get perfluorooctanoic acid banned, on the grounds
that it's a toxin that doesn't break down in the environment. This at
first sight doesn't seem entirely unreasonable; that it doesn't break
down in the environment and that it's an animal carcinogen are
undisputed.

On the other hand, the MSDS for PFOA suggests the animal toxicity
levels are about 200mg/kilogram (IE you'd need a teaspoon full to be
dangerous to an average-sized human), and the levels detected in the
environment are pretty tiny. On a third hand, some chemical-industry
workers had 30ppm PFOA in their blood with no obvious symptoms.

Perfluorooctyl sulphonate turned out to be actually toxic, and was
voluntarily phased out by 3M when this was discovered, but I can't
convince myself that the PFOA issue is very much more than a full-
employment plan for the operators of gas chromatographs and for a
certain breed of lawyer.

On a fourth hand, there's something irrationally worrying about
discovering measurable levels of a chemical with no known natural
source (and quite plausibly no natural source; fluorocarbons really
don't fit with biological processes very well, though there are some
Australian plants that produce CH2FCOO-) in human blood; a sort of
feeling of general messiness, of a violation of a societal taboo of
the same kind as the one against dropping litter.

On a fifth hand, gas chromatography means "measurable levels" can
be very, very small indeed; one big suspicion I have of this whole
issue is that no article I've read actually mentions concentrations.

Tom
Old February 17th 05, 11:57 PM
Cousin Ricky

RichA wrote:
I here a group of enviro-nitwits
are trying to get teflon banned.

I do find myself on my country's political left, but i try not to be a
nitwit about it. I'll go back and reread my copy of _How to Lie with
Statistics_ before i swallow whole what the EWG has to say. (And if
the EPA can't figure out how Teflon decay products got into people,
well, i guess none of them have ventured into their kitchens to see how
poorly Teflon sticks to cookware.)

Shawn wrote:
Not too slick Rich, this is the amateur astrogeek news group.

Well, this amateur astrogeek is not going to give up the slick Teflon
bearings on his Dob without a fight.

DOB USERS OF THE WORLD, UNITE!

Clear skies!

--
------------------- Richard Callwood III --------------------
~ U.S. Virgin Islands ~ USDA zone 11 ~ 18.3N, 64.9W ~

Old February 18th 05, 12:23 AM
Tim Auton

RichA wrote:

I here a group of enviro-nitwits
are trying to get teflon banned.

I see you are a counter-reactionary nitwit who can't read. That
article doesn't say they want Teflon banned.

Tim
--
This is not my signature.