Spirit communication lost!

Old January 26th 04, 06:02 AM
Don

Jan Panteltje wrote:

On a sunny day (Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:21:31 -0700) it happened Greg Crinklaw
wrote in :

Marx @ www.paf.li wrote:
You might just as well claim the earth is
flat (or do you...?).

Nobody ever claimed that: why do you ask
something as idiotic?

Because you made a claim about temperatures that is equally, if not more
idiotic. You have such a profound lack of knowledge of basic principles
and observations that you can't see what is obvious to everyone else.
And you have the nerve to denigrate us for it! But I guess you'd have
to, otherwise you'd be forced to face what an idiot you are.

& now, to stay on topic, come back & tell us
about the reasons of all the misfortunes of the
Mars missions.

Certainly. The problem Spirit suffered is in the flash memory.

That would be a bit premature do you not think?
Could be a hardware error like broken or cracked PCB during bouncing,
ripped cable, oxidized connections, ANY other electronic component,
dry joint (soldering), stupid software design bug (we had that before),
or bugs bunny pulling a plug.

Didn't you know? Greg was on the software dev team.

Don

Old January 26th 04, 04:57 PM

Greg Crinklaw wrote:
An update on the Spirit problem from today's press conference: the most
likely problem is that they simply had too many files stored in the
flash memory, overloading the RAM required to handle them all. Like
someobody suggested, they simply weren't deleting their files often
enough.

Damned software engineers! ;-)

Get rid of the file generation crap; but, oh, no. Poor
kiddies might have to do some thinking. We are breeding
only these kinds of users.

If that is the problem she should be completely restored to full use.

I can't believe that could have been the problem. Hush, Uncle!
snip

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.
Old January 26th 04, 05:12 PM

Greg Crinklaw wrote:
wrote:
Get rid of the file generation crap; but, oh, no. Poor
kiddies might have to do some thinking. We are breeding
only these kinds of users.

If that is the problem she should be completely restored to full use.

I can't believe that could have been the problem. Hush, Uncle!

Sorry, I can't make any sense at all out of your comments.

That's OK. Most of them are inside jokes to sci.physics and
an old farts club. And it's 13:30; I just finished breakfast;
I should be eating lunch.

Old January 26th 04, 05:34 PM
Greg Crinklaw

An update on the Spirit problem from today's press conference: the most
likely problem is that they simply had too many files stored in the
flash memory, overloading the RAM required to handle them all. Like
someobody suggested, they simply weren't deleting their files often
enough.

Damned software engineers! ;-)

If that is the problem she should be completely restored to full use.
But it will take them some time to finally reproduce and understand the
problem on the ground, and then they will have to fully test the onboard
systems. After that it should be time to get rolling again.

Greg Crinklaw wrote:
understand it's common use in English). The most likely reason for the
problem Spirit encountered is a gamma ray hit on or near the memory

Brain said "cosmic ray" fingers types "gamma ray."

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools Software for the Observer:
http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html

Skyhound Observing Pages:
http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html

To reply remove spleen

Old January 26th 04, 06:25 PM
Marx @ www.paf.li

"Greg Crinklaw" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
An update on the Spirit problem from today's
press conference: the most likely problem is
that they simply had too many files stored in
the flash memory, overloading the RAM required
to handle them all.

We hear about Greg being on that programming
team & now you sit there & tell us that such a
contingency wasn't assessed, evaluated &
programmed for? Do the money providers know
about such awful - no: criminal - carelessness?

Like someobody suggested, they simply
weren't deleting their files often enough.

Damned software engineers! ;-)

If that is the problem she should be completely
restored to full use. But it will take them some

Greg Crinklaw wrote:
understand it's common use in English). The
most likely reason for the problem Spirit
encountered is a gamma ray hit on or near
the memory

O yeah? On ground after landing? What does the
gamma ray detector say to that & what were the
results of the gamma ray bombardments in the
design stage?

Brain said "cosmic ray" fingers types "gamma ray."

Obviously these so-called end-of-the-edge
state-of-the-art must be the brain children of
a special class of nincompoops. If not & insist
having done their homework they should go &
study the Logical Qualitative EVU System in
www.paf.li/perceptions.htm & start thinking
about the effects from the predicted conditions
depending on distance of celestial bodies from
the sun (eg absolute zero temperature of
Mars-bound ca -418°C, _cf_
http://www.paf.li/erkenntnisse.htm#_Toc481110371)
& of substance-bound Variable Gravity (_cf_
http://www.paf.li/perceptions.htm#_Toc2338380 &
http://www.paf.li/gravitation_experiment.htm) might
have on their earth-bound gadgets.

Old January 26th 04, 06:56 PM
Greg Crinklaw

Marx @ www.paf.li wrote:
"Greg Crinklaw" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

An update on the Spirit problem from today's
press conference: the most likely problem is
that they simply had too many files stored in
the flash memory, overloading the RAM required
to handle them all.

We hear about Greg being on that programming
team & now you sit there & tell us that such a
contingency wasn't assessed, evaluated &
programmed for? Do the money providers know
about such awful - no: criminal - carelessness?

For the record I'm not on any programming team but my own. That was
just a joke somebody made (complete with smiley). You clearly have
diminished capabilities when it comes to reading comprehension, if not
comprehension in general.

Complex systems can behave in unexpected ways in the real world, no
matter how much testing you do. That's just a fact of life in the
software world. What counts is that they took every precaution to make
sure that any problem would not end the mission.

You have less than zero credibility, so your accusations carry no
weight. You should really go back to taking your meds now.

I'm a nincompoop just because I mistyped something? Has some of your
self esteem been restored now? Get a clue and join the real world.
That might solve your real problem. Ok, now go crawl back into whatever
cave you crawled out of.

Old January 26th 04, 07:47 PM
Alan the Horse

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:10:04 +0200, Anthony Ayiomamitis
wrote:

Again,

Again, I have the news alert I received from them with the title I
mentioned in my previous message. Would you like me to email it to you?
The subject heading of the bulletin in my mailbox is "NEWSFLASH: Contact
lost with Spirit Mars Rover".

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/status.html

did NOT announce "Spirit communication lost!" as you have asserted.
You posted a misrepresentation of their coverage, and then went out

I did not misrepresent anything .... I have their news bulletin!

Very nice. However, such a statement has not appeared on their site.

and grabbed a sensationalist CNN headline to back up your false
assertion. Bad monkey.

Before making accusations, trying reading! It is SpaceFlight Now who
used "NEWSFLASH: Contact lost with Spirit Mars Rover" along with similar
headlines from CNN and MSN.

Perhaps you should have had the foresight to actually read the report
before repeating an incorrect sensationalist headline in the ng.

The latest word from NASA, as reported on Space Flight Now, is ""We
are cautiously encouraged," JPL director Charles Elachi said...."

Also check the SpaceFlight Now bulletin on their web site at 1750 GMT
.... they state "After a day of troubleshooting, engineers have not yet
been able to restore communications with the Spirit rover, which stopped
beaming back science and engineering data Wednesday." What do you think
"not been able to restore communications" mean?????

Because I have taken the time to read the story, I think it means that
they had not, to that point, been able to restore the normal transfer
of data. Doing some more careful reading of the Space Flight Now
stories, it appears that the loss of communication SFN is talking
about was between Mars Odyssey and Spirit. If so, then it seems you
have taken a specific case and applied it generally, and in a
sensational manner. I feel that does a disservice to the site.

For my part, I have been following the mission on the SFN website
almost exclusively of other sources, and do not wish to see you
discredit them as being sensationalist. In my experience thus far,
they have been anything but.

Anthony.

You should lose the HTML sig, this is a text newsgroup.

Old January 27th 04, 11:45 AM

"Marx @ www.paf.li" wrote:
"Greg Crinklaw" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
An update on the Spirit problem from today's
press conference: the most likely problem is
that they simply had too many files stored in
the flash memory, overloading the RAM required
to handle them all.

We hear about Greg being on that programming
team & now you sit there & tell us that such a
contingency wasn't assessed, evaluated &
programmed for? Do the money providers know
about such awful - no: criminal - carelessness?

Do you keep your disk cleaned up or do you wait until you
have to clean it up? I'll by one of my pennies that you
wait until it becomes necessary.