Photoshop and Mac and Windows

Old October 7th 03, 11:25 PM
Davoud

Default Photoshop and Mac and Windows

Brian Tung:

You left out that Chris is a registered Apple developer. Don't those
count as Mac users?

Not necessarily. I know a guy who is a master mechanic at a BMW garage,
but who drives a Honda. That's a fair, if rough, analogy, IMO -- though
when I'm doing Mac-Windows-car analogies I usually refer to BMW's and
Yugos. And I use Windows XP Pro myself and know whereof I speak.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old October 7th 03, 11:38 PM
Chris L Peterson

Default Send in the Clowns - This Thread is Now Closed [Was Photoshop and Mac and Windows]

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 20:12:44 GMT, John Steinberg wrote:

I do hereby officially and unequivocally end this thread with a personal
invocation of *Godwin's Law.

Yes, I _am_ a Mac Nazi.

Thank you all for your fine contributions to this thread, but I think
it's fair to say that this horse has been flogged to death, and then
some.

Nice try, John, but it seems that it has become... THE THREAD THAT WOULDN'T DIE.

BTW, "flogged... and then some" is entirely inadequate. Converted to a biofilm
is more like it.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old October 8th 03, 01:35 AM
Trane Francks

On 10/08/03 03:18 +0900, Davoud wrote:

As I said, you are not a Mac user. "...also have a Mac," "...I'm
running Panther" and "...had a nice visit with some Apple developers"
still do not a Mac user make. So now, in addition to wondering why you
joined this thread in the first place, I'm wondering why you are still
here!

You might want to cut waaaaaay back on the coffee, dude. It's
only a computer, not a bloody religion.

Jeeze. :-(

trane
// Trane Francks Tokyo, Japan
//
http://mp3.com/trane_francks/

Old October 8th 03, 01:41 AM
Cassini

"Davoud" wrote in message

Not necessarily. I know a guy who is a master mechanic at a BMW garage,
but who drives a Honda. That's a fair, if rough, analogy, IMO -- though
when I'm doing Mac-Windows-car analogies I usually refer to BMW's and
Yugos. And I use Windows XP Pro myself and know whereof I speak.

I thought your original car analogy was accurate. My 1987 Honda has
207,000 miles on it and runs just fine despite also having been built as
cheaply as possible. I use XP Pro at work and I don't much care for it
either. Windows 2000 is much more Honda-like in its utilitarian way
of execution. In fact future archeologists several thousand years from
now will uncover a room long lost in time and they will find a Windows
2000 computer still running. Yes, that's right, Windows 2000 will have
up times of several thousand years.
:-)

Old October 8th 03, 05:04 AM
Michael McCulloch

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 09:35:02 +0900, Trane Francks
wrote:

You might want to cut waaaaaay back on the coffee, dude. It's
only a computer, not a bloody religion.

Jeeze. :-(

Very good point. ;-)

Back in 1990 I fell into the "cult of Jobs" for a while. I dumped
$10K+ in NeXT Computer hardware and training. Just think if I had
invested that in Dell stock instead!

I lost all my PC friends with my smart *ss remarks all the time, and
kicked and screamed at my workplace whenever I had to use anything
else.

Yes, I still think the NeXT was far superior to anything else around
at the time and it did teach me pure object-oriented programming which
has been very good for my career. However, I soon learned that
computer companies are really just interested in parting you from your
money and that your loyalty means diddly to them.

---
Michael McCulloch
Old October 8th 03, 08:07 AM
Trane Francks

On 10/08/03 13:04 +0900, Michael McCulloch wrote:

Back in 1990 I fell into the "cult of Jobs" for a while. I dumped
$10K+ in NeXT Computer hardware and training. Just think if I had
invested that in Dell stock instead!

You'd certainly be comfortable.

About 9 years ago, I played with NeXTstep/486 off and on for a
few weeks. I thought it was an interesting looking system. Alas,
it was even harder to find compatible hardware for it than it was
my beloved OS/2.

I lost all my PC friends with my smart *ss remarks all the time, and

Hehehe ... I think a great many of us who become soundly
dependent upon an architecture for our livelihood fall into
similar traps. I certainly engaged in a few MCA versus EISA
arguments while I was an IBMer. It took a while before I realized
that no matter how good or bad the MCA bus might be, /arguing/
about it didn't make it any better.

Yes, I still think the NeXT was far superior to anything else around

What I saw of it looked pretty slick. It was _very_ smart of
Apple to take the NeXTstep Mach/BSD microkernel architecture as
their basis for developing the Darwin kernel. I've heard it
rumoured that Apple keeps some development machines running OS X
on the x86 architecture (Marklar?). It would definitely be
interesting to see OS X released for the PC. I doubt it'll
happen, but one never knows for sure. After all, NeXTstep ran on,
what, 5 platforms back in the day?

computer companies are really just interested in parting you from your
money and that your loyalty means diddly to them.

Return customers are good, though; they don't worry about having
the wrong number of mouse buttons. ;^)

trane
// Trane Francks Tokyo, Japan
//
http://mp3.com/trane_francks/

Old October 8th 03, 08:15 AM
Trane Francks

Default Godwin's Law, was Photoshop and Mac and Windows

On 10/08/03 13:34 +0900, Alan W. Craft wrote:

Godwin's Law deals primarily with referring to someone
as Hitler within a debate, and generally anything to do with
Hitler and Naziism.

Godwin's Law was correctly quoted earlier in the thread: “As a
Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.” Further information
from the Jargon Lexicon version 4.4.5: "There is a tradition in
many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and
whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever
argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically
guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in
those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil
that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to
invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful. Godwin
himself has discussed the subject. See also Formosa's Law."

The penalty is quite simple: forfeiture of the debate.

Indeed.

trane
// Trane Francks Tokyo, Japan
//
http://mp3.com/trane_francks/

Old October 8th 03, 08:29 AM
Brian Tung

Matt Gabriel, Mad Poet of Newport wrote:
I think he does in this case. As a newbie looking for astro software
for my Mac, I don't appreciate having to wade through half a zillion
posts sneering at my choice of computer everytime the topic comes up.

I'm sorry, I didn't see a sneer. That also doesn't sound like Chris.
The rumor, such as it was, may have been in error, he may have been
better off not posting it, but it sure didn't seem like a sneer to me.

I found your elaboration on the situation enlightening, by the way.

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt