Will they leave the OBSS on the Station?

Old November 2nd 07, 11:45 AM posted to sci.space.station
Tom2000[_2_]

Default Will they leave the OBSS on the Station?

(I was going to write "Will they leave the OBSS on the ISS?" but that
sounded downright silly.)

In any case, it seems to me that an OBSS might be something that might
come in handy on the Station in the future, and the Shuttle crew
probably won't need it on the way home.

Tom

Old November 2nd 07, 12:26 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jorge R. Frank

Tom2000 wrote:
(I was going to write "Will they leave the OBSS on the ISS?" but that
sounded downright silly.)

In any case, it seems to me that an OBSS might be something that might
come in handy on the Station in the future, and the Shuttle crew
probably won't need it on the way home.

OBSS is needed on the way home, because RCC Late Inspection is performed
post-undocking for better arm clearance.

OBSS will be left on the station on STS-123 because STS-124 cannot carry
it up due to clearance issues with the JEM. As a result, 123 will need
to perform its Late Inspection pre-undocking (and will not be able to
see some areas due to arm reach/clearance issues) and 124 will not be
able to do its early inspection until post-docking (with the same issues).
Old November 2nd 07, 01:23 PM posted to sci.space.station
Tom2000[_2_]

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 07:26:58 -0500, "Jorge R. Frank"
wrote:

Tom2000 wrote:
(I was going to write "Will they leave the OBSS on the ISS?" but that
sounded downright silly.)

In any case, it seems to me that an OBSS might be something that might
come in handy on the Station in the future, and the Shuttle crew
probably won't need it on the way home.

OBSS is needed on the way home, because RCC Late Inspection is performed
post-undocking for better arm clearance.

OBSS will be left on the station on STS-123 because STS-124 cannot carry
it up due to clearance issues with the JEM. As a result, 123 will need
to perform its Late Inspection pre-undocking (and will not be able to
see some areas due to arm reach/clearance issues) and 124 will not be
able to do its early inspection until post-docking (with the same issues).

Thank you, Jorge.

Tom

Old November 2nd 07, 04:50 PM posted to sci.space.station
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message
Tom2000 wrote:
(I was going to write "Will they leave the OBSS on the ISS?" but that
sounded downright silly.)

In any case, it seems to me that an OBSS might be something that might
come in handy on the Station in the future, and the Shuttle crew
probably won't need it on the way home.

OBSS is needed on the way home, because RCC Late Inspection is performed
post-undocking for better arm clearance.

OBSS will be left on the station on STS-123 because STS-124 cannot carry
it up due to clearance issues with the JEM. As a result, 123 will need to
perform its Late Inspection pre-undocking (and will not be able to see
some areas due to arm reach/clearance issues) and 124 will not be able to
do its early inspection until post-docking (with the same issues).

Also, they need the OBSS later on for the Hubble flight.

--
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!

Old November 2nd 07, 05:47 PM posted to sci.space.station
Derek Lyons

"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:

Also, they need the OBSS later on for the Hubble flight.

How many did they build?

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old November 3rd 07, 01:22 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 12:50:50 -0400, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

Also, they need the OBSS later on for the Hubble flight.

I think there are three of them... OBSS 201, 202 and 203, going by
Jonathan McDowell's Space Reports for the last few Shuttle flights.

Brian