telescope for beginner

Old November 24th 06, 01:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default telescope for beginner

I need to buy a telescope for my 11 year old grandson and I can use all
the advice I can get.

Thanks in advance,

Gale Gorman
Houston

Old November 24th 06, 02:02 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Joe S.[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to buy a telescope for my 11 year old grandson and I can use all
the advice I can get.

Thanks in advance,

Gale Gorman
Houston

Get a scope, a book, and a pair of binos.

Scope: Orion XT-4.5 or Orion XT-6.
http://www.telescope.com/jump.jsp?it...List=&oldList=

or

http://tinyurl.com/88dsa

Book: "Skywatching," by David Levy.

Binos: 7x35, 8x42, or 10x50.

Old November 24th 06, 02:43 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Al[_1_]

oups.com...

http://home.inreach.com/starlord/

Old November 24th 06, 03:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Starlord

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord You should read this first.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html

oups.com...

Old November 24th 06, 01:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RMOLLISE

Hi:

I seem to be recommending this scope every single day, I know, but
IMHO, it's _that_ good.

Get the Orion StarBlast at http://www.telescope.com

Old November 24th 06, 09:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Daniel Minge

If it's made in the USA and has anything to do with
astronomy, it must be excellent.

Minge

Old November 26th 06, 02:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jax[_1_]

Hi Gale,
Drop by the George Observatory located in Brazos Bend State Park one
Saturday evening, and you can lay hands on a number of different scopes and
talk with knowledgeable users. (p.s. ask how to become an observatory
volunteer and then you and your grandson can use any of the scopes they own
including the big scopes in the domes!). Texas Nautical Repair on Richmond
is a nice store to stop by. Also, there are several astronomy clubs around
Houston that can offer good advice, used equipment for sale, and free loaner
scopes. This site will link you to them:

http://www.fbac.org/web%20links.htm

Peace,
Jon II

oups.com...