ASTRO: NGC 2715 One Arp didn't include

Old October 8th 13, 08:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 2715 One Arp didn't include

NGC 2715 could have made Arp's atlas of peculiar galaxies under the
classification of one heavy arm. It is likely related to Arp 225
located about 40 arc minutes to the west northwest. They both have
similar redshifts. Distant interaction in the past with Arp 225 may
have created the pulled out heavy arm. NGC 2715 is also unusual in that
its arm segments begin right at the core rather then coming off of two
main arms. NGC 2715 is located in Camelopardalis west of the tail end
of Draco. Link to my image of Arp 225:
http://www.spacebanter.com/attachmen...tid=4403&stc=1

The field contains two Abell galaxy clusters, Abell 719 and Abel 738.
Abell 719 is richness class II which means it has 80 to 129 galaxies.
Morphology III means it has no large galaxy and is without much if any
condensation. It is listed as 20 minutes across which means it overlaps
the other Abell cluster on the east side of the image, Abell 738. It
too is richness class II but is intermediate between morphology group II
and III which means it has some larger elliptical galaxies but little
condensation except right near these larger galaxies. It's diameter is
even larger at 24 minutes. There is a third galaxy cluster in the image
NSC J091248+780302. Actually it is listed as a candidate cluster but
with a redshift virtually the same as Abell 0738 and no size I have to
think these two refer to the same cluster. Likely the latter refers to
the denser center region of Abell 738.

This far north NED has little else on the field. Most of the "major"
galaxies in the image aren't even listed at NED and those that are
rarely had redshift data. Those that did were just members of the Abell
clusters with similar distances. Also their positions were rather vague
making it difficult to tell which of two galaxies were being referred
to. I didn't list them on the annotated image. Thus those galaxies I
did list were lone galaxies easily identifiable with vague coordinates.
The exception was PGC 213564 which was accurately listed in The Sky.

The blue color channel was severely damaged by clouds. Retakes were
even worse. I suspect the blue data but am posting this until I can get
better data in 2014.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10, RGB=2x10 (blue poor), STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC2715L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	4778  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC2715L4X10RGB2X10ID.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	4779  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC2715L4X10RGB2X10CROP125.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	4780
Old October 8th 13, 07:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

very nice picture of this not-so-big galaxy. Fortunately I already have an
image, so no object to make my list even longer.

Stefan

. com...