ASTRO: NGC 4605 colour

Old May 17th 07, 01:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 4605 colour

I got some colour data for my recent image of NGC 4605. This galaxy is so
bright that colour processing was quite easy, no fight with strange
gradients etc was necessary.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" SCT at f/7, G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 43x3 minutes for Lum, 3x5 minutes each for RGB at 2x binning.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/4605colourgut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4605colourgut.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	852
Old May 17th 07, 06:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:

I got some colour data for my recent image of NGC 4605. This galaxy is
so bright that colour processing was quite easy, no fight with strange
gradients etc was necessary.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with an 8" SCT at f/7, G11 mount, SXV-H9
camera, 43x3 minutes for Lum, 3x5 minutes each for RGB at 2x binning.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/4605colourgut.jpg

Stefan

I like it. Good seeing too.

I've found with my limited Photoshop skills that Astronomy Tools helps
me a lot with color gradient problems you mention, though not when the
whole image has a tint like M61. The version is different for each
version of Photoshop or Elements. I use PS CS. How well the other
versions work I can't say. Elements has fewer tools to work with so may
not be as good, I just don't know. But it saved many of my frost
plagued images last winter. That frost put in horrid color gradients
going in all directions. All but the worst it handled once I got the
hang of it. It removes the objects somehow then creates a pseudo flat
field then puts them back in again. Takes a few tries picking the right
spot for "black". Eventually I got the hang of it. Only $20 US, don't
know what he charges for Europe. I'm sure a photoshop expert could do
better. But that's not me! Instructions are very limited. Only what's
on the website so you do have to spend a couple days just playing until
you figure it all out.

It really helps me dig detail out of the noise level by separating the
noise from the signal and subtracting it out. (Space Noise and Deep
Space Noise actions and with color the Color Blotch action gives a silky
gray background) Right now I'm working on an M94 shot that shows the
outer faint ring (third zone) that is rarely imaged except in very long
exposures, yet I was able to dig it out in only 40 minutes with
Astronomy Tools. Now I'm trying to layer that in with a more normally
processed shot of it. That Astronomy Tools doesn't do and I'm no good
at it.

Rick

http://actions.home.att.net/Astronomy_Tools.html

Rick