SCT Focal Reducers and Vignetting (explained)

Old January 24th 04, 05:04 PM
Michael A. Covington

Default SCT Focal Reducers and Vignetting (explained)

"Rod Mollise" wrote in message

I find it puzzling that people don't expect vignetting. Of course

there's
vignetting.

Hi:

Well, of course there is. HOWEVER...with a C8, it doesn't become

objectionable
or even noticeable, really until you get to longer focal length eyepieces.

The
good part is that with the r/c, you may not need longer focal length

eyepieces
(I'm talking the f/6.3 reducer/corrector, the 3.3 is not useable

visually).
Even then...well...there's obvious vignetting of the field of the 35mm
Panoptic, but it provides such a nice-looking wide field that I can easily
overlook that.

Peace,
Rod Mollise

Right. Actually, it surprises me that there is as little vignetting as
there is.

With a 32mm Plossl on a C8 with f/6.3 reducer, there is none. And with the
Panoptic, as you say, being able to see a somewhat dimmed image at the edges
is better than not being able to see anything there.