My first Lunar Mosaic

Old April 20th 05, 05:34 AM
JATO

Default My first Lunar Mosaic

The mosaic in the link below was created from 52 images using the Meade LPI
and my 10" LX200GPS.

Each of the 52 images is made up of 30 individual stacked frames for a
total of 1560 frames.

It took approx I hour to capture the images and about 4 minutes to create
the mosaic. (The small black "monolith" in the upper right is a missed
over-lapped frame. This was my fault not the Autostitch software.)

This is my first ever attempt at a "astro-image mosaic". Even though I
missed a section by not over lapping a couple of the individual images
enough, overall I am happy with the image. I am going to try again during
the full moon.

http://www.jatobservatory.org/Galler...pano_Moon.html

-JATO
http://jatobservatory.org

Old April 20th 05, 07:20 AM
John Hyde

On 4/19/2005 9:34 PM, JATO jato wrote:
The mosaic in the link below was created from 52 images using the Meade LPI
and my 10" LX200GPS.

Each of the 52 images is made up of 30 individual stacked frames for a
total of 1560 frames.

It took approx I hour to capture the images and about 4 minutes to create
the mosaic. (The small black "monolith" in the upper right is a missed
over-lapped frame. This was my fault not the Autostitch software.)

This is my first ever attempt at a "astro-image mosaic". Even though I
missed a section by not over lapping a couple of the individual images
enough, overall I am happy with the image. I am going to try again during
the full moon.

http://www.jatobservatory.org/Galler...pano_Moon.html

-JATO
http://jatobservatory.org

Isn't it amazing what can be done with the careful application of
technology. As a thought, I'd be very interested i what you got if you
combined images taken along the terminator over the course of a month.
I doubt you would be able to stitch them in 4 minutes, but the extra
work might be worth the contract details you could potentially obtain.
Just a thought.

JH
Old April 20th 05, 02:09 PM
Davoud

JATO:
The mosaic in the link below was created from 52 images using the Meade LPI
and my 10" LX200GPS.

Each of the 52 images is made up of 30 individual stacked frames for a
total of 1560 frames.

It took approx I hour to capture the images and about 4 minutes to create
the mosaic. (The small black "monolith" in the upper right is a missed
over-lapped frame. This was my fault not the Autostitch software.)

Fill in the black rectangle with Photoshop's "Clone" tool. Who's to
know?

This is my first ever attempt at a "astro-image mosaic". Even though I
missed a section by not over lapping a couple of the individual images
enough, overall I am happy with the image. I am going to try again during
the full moon.

http://www.jatobservatory.org/Galler...pano_Moon.html

Very nice work -- sharp, and without obvious digital artifacts.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old April 20th 05, 05:35 PM
CLT

Beautiful shot! Much more like the view through an eyepiece.

Thanks for sharing

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?

Are you interested in understanding optics?

To reply, remove Delete and change period com to period net

Old April 21st 05, 12:16 AM
LindaLoveLots

Davoud wrote in message ...
Fill in the black rectangle with Photoshop's "Clone" tool. Who's to
know?

True but then why bother in the first place? Easier to just download
any number of existing hi-res images and just resize/re-label as your
own.

However, if you don't plan to go out again, I would go and get an
existing image and transplant the missing piece. In any case, the
mosaic is excellent and I hope to do the same in the near future.

AstroHoney
Old April 21st 05, 02:15 AM
JATO

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:09:22 -0400, Davoud wrote:

JATO:
The mosaic in the link below was created from 52 images using the Meade LPI
and my 10" LX200GPS.

Each of the 52 images is made up of 30 individual stacked frames for a
total of 1560 frames.

It took approx I hour to capture the images and about 4 minutes to create
the mosaic. (The small black "monolith" in the upper right is a missed
over-lapped frame. This was my fault not the Autostitch software.)

Fill in the black rectangle with Photoshop's "Clone" tool. Who's to
know?

I would.

This is my first ever attempt at a "astro-image mosaic". Even though I
missed a section by not over lapping a couple of the individual images
enough, overall I am happy with the image. I am going to try again during
the full moon.

http://www.jatobservatory.org/Galler...pano_Moon.html

Very nice work -- sharp, and without obvious digital artifacts.

Thanks. It was a fun project. I will try it again during the full Moon.

-JATO
http://jatobservatory.org

Old April 21st 05, 02:23 AM
JATO

Thanks Chuck,

You know I never thought about it until you mentioned it, but it is kind of
like looking through an eyepiece .

-JATO

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:35:07 -0700, "CLT"
wrote:

Beautiful shot! Much more like the view through an eyepiece.

Thanks for sharing

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?

Are you interested in understanding optics?

To reply, remove Delete and change period com to period net

.. .

Old April 21st 05, 02:49 AM
Drew

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 04:34:45 GMT, JATO
wrote:

The small black "monolith" in the upper right

I thought that was supposed to be at the lower left inside Tycho.

Nice mosaic. I find the moon most generaly pleasing to observe a day
or two after first quarter since most of the major sites are well lit
(Plato, Tycho, Clavius, Copernicus, the Carpathians, Sinus Iridum,
etc.).

-Drew

Old April 21st 05, 10:47 PM
JATO

wrote:

The small black "monolith" in the upper right

I thought that was supposed to be at the lower left inside Tycho.

Nice mosaic. I find the moon most generaly pleasing to observe a day
or two after first quarter since most of the major sites are well lit
(Plato, Tycho, Clavius, Copernicus, the Carpathians, Sinus Iridum,
etc.).

-Drew

Thanks Drew.

I just hope the monolith doesn't start multiplying.

I like viewing the Moon almost anytime.

I want to try another mosaic but clouds are rolling in and it is suppose to
rain for the next few days.

-JATO
http://jatobservatory.org

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 August 1st 04 09:08 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Misc 6 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla UK Astronomy 11 July 25th 04 02:57 PM