Apollo: One gas environment?

Old May 6th 04, 07:18 PM
OM

On Thu, 6 May 2004 12:29:24 -0400, "Scott Hedrick"
wrote:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
"Play ball with me, and I'll shove the bat up your ass..."

Expect a call from the Maxsons.

....Yes, but will they be pitching or catching?

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old May 6th 04, 09:26 PM
Pat Flannery

Neil Gerace wrote:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

And my all-time favorite, from my late dad:
"Play ball with me, and I'll shove the bat up your ass..."

Was that a threat or a promise?

Actually it was a reference to how a particular individual in our town
did business. :-)

Pat

Old May 6th 04, 09:43 PM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...That's because people in North Dakota have never been explained
that you don't do those erotic Wesson Oil interludes in front of a
raging fireplace.

Actually, it's due to the fact that frying is an exotic form of cooking
up here; we are about as far from the Deep South as it's possible to
get, and are far more attuned to barbecuing steaks and making deer
sausage than frying things.
The Norse population of our state still associates the idea of "hot oil"
with the defenses used against their ancestors when they were storming
English castles, and therefore shy away from it whenever possible.
Molten lead is also right out in regards to cooking.

Pat

Old May 6th 04, 09:55 PM
Pat Flannery

Dale wrote:

Hmmm, I picked that one up on a hellish summer farm job almost 30
years ago. But come to think of it, there was a guy working there
named Pat...

That's why your name rang a bell! This is the ******* who killed my pet
skunk- "Lil' Stinker"- just so he could have a novelty hat!
Well, I hope you enjoyed that hat, mister....because your pet cats are
going to make a dandy pair of bedroom slippers- I'll call 'em my "Puss
'n boots".

Pat

Old May 6th 04, 10:05 PM
Herb Schaltegger

Pat Flannery wrote:

The Norse population of our state still associates the idea of "hot oil"
with the defenses used against their ancestors when they were storming
English castles, . . .

How did they fare against French knights? Their taunting can be
vicious, I understand, and when they "fetchez les vaches", well, as King
Arthur was once overheard to say, "JEEE-ZUSSS CHRIIIST!!!! RUN AWAY!
RUN AWAY!"

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
Reformed Aerospace Engineer
Old May 6th 04, 10:15 PM
Mary Shafer

On Thu, 06 May 2004 02:50:59 -0600, OM
om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org
wrote:

On Tue, 04 May 2004 22:51:07 -0700, Mary Shafer
wrote:

Anyway, I have a helper coming over to unpack cartons all this week

...And if Mrs. Beady shows up with some really wild finds, we'll know
who you hired :-)

I've got enough dupes of some stuff, I'd never notice. Besides, I
haven't come to terms with the idea of selling things the gov't gave
me for free.

Mary

Old May 6th 04, 10:38 PM
Rick DeNatale

On Mon, 03 May 2004 11:55:18 -0600, Jay Windley wrote:

"Henry Spencer" wrote in message

| Hardly. He's criticizing SI because this particular relationship doesn't
| work in practice, but SI has never claimed it did...

That's true, Henry. I momentarily blurred the distinction between SI and
"the metric system".

Now what is THE metric system. I know that there used to be at least
two in common usage: CGS and MKS. There are/were several metric systems.

SI is A metric system n'est-ce pas?

--
Rick
Who really doesn't have a dog in this fight!
Old May 6th 04, 10:45 PM
Rick DeNatale

On Mon, 03 May 2004 11:22:40 -0600, Jay Windley wrote:

I'm reminded of a (probably apocryphal) story about MIT engineering students
who were asked to design and construct a bridge using the unit of "smoot",
Professor Smoot being their instructor. His linear, volumetric, and mass
properties were the measurement units for the project. Steel had a density
of so many smoots-mass per smoots-volume, for example. In doing that, you
would gain a deeper appreciation for where these "accepted" values for
everything actually come from, and greater insight into the arbitrary nature
of practically any measurement system.

An embellishment of the true story. Oliver Smoot was a member of the MIT
class of '62 who as a pledge of the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity. They
measured the length of the Harvard Bridge as 364.4 Smoots plus and ear.
1 Smoot = 5' 7"

http://web.mit.edu/museum/fun/smoots.html has pictures of the process of
measurement.
Old May 6th 04, 11:07 PM
Rick DeNatale

On Tue, 04 May 2004 01:17:21 +0800, Neil Gerace wrote:

"Herb Schaltegger" wrote in message

In the context of the gas systems for Project Apollo, that question is
silly.

So is your non-issue about the litre and the kilogramme. Neither is defined
in terms of the other, therefore there is no 'relationship'.

Litre eh?! Must be a localized (Australian?) spelling of the SI unit which
is spelled "cubic metre".
http://www1.bipm.org/en/si/derived_units/2-2-1.html

ou en française: mètre cube

Note the e accent grave in mètre, It seems like it's not just we
Americans who have localized (localised?) spellings.

Do you really use kilogramme in Australia? According to the English
pages of the BIPM (French) website,
http://www1.bipm.org/en/si/base_units/
the English spellings of the SI Base units are, metre, kilogram,
second, ampere, kelvin, mole and candela, whereas the French spellings
a mètre, kilogramme, seconde, ampère, kelvin, mole and candela.
http://www1.bipm.org/fr/si/base_units/

Il semble comme si le système international d'unités permet des
épellations localisées!

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 August 1st 04 09:08 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla UK Astronomy 11 July 25th 04 02:57 PM