Barnard 5

Old May 4th 16, 07:38 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default Barnard 5

Barnard 5/LBN 1471 is a dark nebula in southern Perseus about half way between M45 and the California Nebula. So a rather dusty part of the sky. 42 Persei is less than a half degree from its north-eastern edge though out of my frame. I had to move B 5 well east to get rid of either its glare or ghost, some positions had both in the frame. Oddly some sources claim the star is Eta Persei which is much brighter and in the northern, not southern part of the constellation. I don't know how this error got started or what keeps perpetuating it.

Barnard 5 is a rather indistinct dark nebula and I'd likely not have gone for it but for a very odd object in it. It is in the southern part of my image and thanks to poor conditions very weak. I had it on the reshoot list but that never happened. The object is a star which might be the protostar IRAS 03445+3242 that apparently illuminates a weak reflection nebula to its northwest. The position of the star is rather uncertain but lies just west and a bit south of the star in my image. The error ellipse doesn't quite reach to the star but its brightness matches and nothing else is around. The nebula to the northwest is more certain, it is [WBR2005] J034743.0+325210 and contains the Herbig Haro object HH366E5. Now that's a mouthful for such a weak object.

Several dark nebulae are parts of Barnard 5. I've tried to label the centers of some of them in the annotated image.

Surprisingly several galaxies are seen through the dust though appear heavily reddened by the dust. I suppose they could be red galaxies to start with that got even further reddened by the dust. It would be interesting to see what a spectrograph would show for their stellar makeup. I found nothing on this however. Only two had redshift values which are shown in the annotated image. I labeled a third galaxy from the 2MASX catalog but have nothing much on it. Just that it is likely the most heavily obscured of the three. Many other, near stellar galaxies are seen around the outside of Barnard 5 that likely are larger, bluer and brighter than seen thanks to all the dust. Two of the brightest are near the right edge a bit above the centerline.

I've included the image at my normal 1" per pixel which is a bit much for this object, at at at more reasonable 1.5" per pixel. Also an annotated image at 1.5" per pixel is included.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B5L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	471
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	6223  Click image for larger version

Name:	B5L4X10RGB2X10-67.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	6224  Click image for larger version

Name:	B5L4X10RGB2X10ID.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	6225
Old May 5th 16, 02:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

a most interesting object. The star near the nebula certainly looks like
they belong together.
And the galaxies come unexpected in such a field.

Stefan

--
WA0CKY

Barnard 132 WA0CKY Astro Pictures 1 January 2nd 16 06:56 AM
Barnard 347 WA0CKY Astro Pictures 1 March 24th 15 09:14 PM
Barnard 343 WA0CKY Astro Pictures 1 February 2nd 15 10:52 PM
Barnard 145 WA0CKY Astro Pictures 1 January 12th 15 10:17 PM
Barnard 104 WA0CKY Astro Pictures 0 January 14th 14 08:57 PM