Beagle ... alas

Old December 25th 03, 08:03 AM
David Sander

Default Beagle ... alas

Reports coming in saying it's not responding, that NASA craft are
hearing nothing.

The party's not over yet - there's another window of opportunity coming
up in a few hours, but the fact it's not responding when expected
doesn't bode well.

*sigh*

David
--
per aspera ad astra
Old December 25th 03, 08:31 AM
Scott Lowther

David Sander wrote:

Reports coming in saying it's not responding, that NASA craft are
hearing nothing.

The party's not over yet - there's another window of opportunity coming
up in a few hours, but the fact it's not responding when expected
doesn't bode well.

*sigh*

Jeez. Just a few hours, and the probe has already surrendered.

How much of it was made in France?

And how long before its loss is blamed on George Bush?

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam
Old December 25th 03, 09:16 AM
OM

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 08:31:25 GMT, Scott Lowther
wrote:

Jeez. Just a few hours, and the probe has already surrendered.

How much of it was made in France?

....The only thing I can say about this apparent failure is that I
honestly hope this is a hard slap in the face to Europe as a whole to
wake them up to the fact that "Faster/Better/Cheaper" does not work,
and they need to quit being ****ing cheap and SPEND WHAT'S REQUIRED!

I was *really* hoping Beagle 2 would make it. I really, really was.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old December 25th 03, 09:28 AM
Dudhorse

"David Sander" wrote in message
Reports coming in saying it's not responding, that NASA craft are
hearing nothing.

The party's not over yet - there's another window of opportunity coming
up in a few hours, but the fact it's not responding when expected
doesn't bode well.

*sigh*

... read somewhere that Martian sandstorms could be dense enough to block

the solar panel arrays.
So Beagle could be off to a slow start. *fingers-crossed!!*

Old December 25th 03, 01:30 PM
Scott Hedrick

"David Sander" wrote in message
Reports coming in saying it's not responding, that NASA craft are
hearing nothing.

The party's not over yet - there's another window of opportunity coming
up in a few hours, but the fact it's not responding when expected
doesn't bode well.

THe first words will be: "I'm not dead yet! I'm feeling much better."
--
If you have had problems with Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC),
please contact shredder at bellsouth dot net. There may be a class-action

Old December 25th 03, 01:32 PM
Scott Hedrick

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message news
wrote:

Jeez. Just a few hours, and the probe has already surrendered.

How much of it was made in France?

...The only thing I can say about this apparent failure is that I
honestly hope this is a hard slap in the face to Europe as a whole to
wake them up to the fact that "Faster/Better/Cheaper" does not work,
and they need to quit being ****ing cheap and SPEND WHAT'S REQUIRED!

More likely the lesson learned will be: "Well, that just goes to show that
it's too expensive to do now. We'll try again much later, when we're not in
office and can't be blamed."

Old December 25th 03, 02:05 PM
bob

Default beagle missing contact

correct me if i am wrong (i am using only memory here) but every lander that
has made it made first contact exactly on time, correct?

so if this oversized pocket watch (how quaintly british!) makes contact
later, would it not be the first time a lander that went missing for any
period of time turned out to be OK

ESA should get kudo's for its orbiter at any rate

Old December 25th 03, 02:22 PM
Azt28

Scott Lowther :

Jeez. Just a few hours, and the probe has already surrendered.

How much of it was made in France?

This is a London Open University project. France don't invest in sciences, only
in cheese making.

Yvan Bozzonetti.
Old December 25th 03, 04:35 PM
Andrew Gray

In article , bob wrote:
correct me if i am wrong (i am using only memory here) but every lander that
has made it made first contact exactly on time, correct?

so if this oversized pocket watch (how quaintly british!) makes contact
later, would it not be the first time a lander that went missing for any
period of time turned out to be OK

Every prior lander was capable of contacting home itself; Beagle pretty
much has to wait until a relay sat can see it. If the landing site is
off from the predicted ellipse, which is quite possible, Odyssey may
simply not have found it.

(Alternately, it's apparently possible for the lander to take too long
to open, and not be ready for transmission in the first few hours)

We'll see if Jodrell can find a carrier signal tonight.

--
-Andrew Gray

Colin Pilinger to head inquiry into what went wrong with Beagle... Tom Merkle Policy 4 February 1st 04 12:58 AM
hope for Beagle 2 ? Simon Laub Science 7 January 18th 04 11:24 PM
Beagle 2 assistance Martin Milan Science 6 December 30th 03 03:50 PM
Beagle 2 landing sequence - how? Abdul Ahad Technology 2 December 10th 03 11:55 AM