ASTRO: NGC4214 From Colorado Springs

Old April 29th 07, 08:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Default ASTRO: NGC4214 From Colorado Springs

I just got back up and running after a mother board failure that I could not
fix... It also crashed the hard drive... Most everythin was backed up but I
goofed around with the box for a few days before I finaly gave in and bought
a new one... I just looked at all the new images I had missed and liked them
very much... You guys have been busy with your systems!

This data is from 20 April, the only good night I have had.. Only one hours
worth though.

Full size and info: http://www.wheeland.us/galaxy/ngc4214.htm

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ngc4214_gs_66.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	774
Old April 29th 07, 05:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Doug W. wrote:
I just got back up and running after a mother board failure that I could not
fix... It also crashed the hard drive... Most everythin was backed up but I
goofed around with the box for a few days before I finaly gave in and bought
a new one... I just looked at all the new images I had missed and liked them
very much... You guys have been busy with your systems!

This data is from 20 April, the only good night I have had.. Only one hours
worth though.

Full size and info: http://www.wheeland.us/galaxy/ngc4214.htm

First my lap top's power brick dies then you lose the mother board.
Seems this computer disease is not only spreading, its getting more serious!

While the computer that runs the observatory is only a year old this one
is 5 years old and should be the one to act up. I'd love an excuse to
replace it. It won't even run Photoshop CS, the operating system is too
old. It's kinda sad when your lap top has 4 times the memory, 50% more
hard disk space and 6 times faster than your "big" computer.

You're seeing looks a lot better than mine. The few times I've been to
Colorado Springs to visit the sister-in-law (she's about half way
between Denver and Castle Rock) seeing was awful judging by how much and
fast the stars were twinkling (had no scope along). But she lived over
by the airport, your location is obviously a lot better or I always
visited when seeing was unusually bad.

Rick

Old April 29th 07, 07:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

I was wondering when you'd be back online again

that's a galaxy boiling with activity

. ..

Old April 30th 07, 03:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

The seeing was better than usual... wish I could have recorded more data.

The mother board would run if I kept a hair dryer pointed at it on high
heat... and I got some stuff I wanted off the disk before it got completely
in accessible.

Thanks for looking Rick.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old April 30th 07, 03:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

I have seen all the neat galaxies you and others have been posting and keep
looking for a good night... I might get a chance after 2300 hrs tonight.

Thanks

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com
"Richard Crisp" wrote in message
. net...
I was wondering when you'd be back online again

that's a galaxy boiling with activity

. ..

Old April 30th 07, 06:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Doug W. wrote:
The seeing was better than usual... wish I could have recorded more data.

The mother board would run if I kept a hair dryer pointed at it on high
heat... and I got some stuff I wanted off the disk before it got completely
in accessible.

Thanks for looking Rick.

The old hard drive should still be good. Just swap it out, change it to
slave and put it in the new computer for additional storage after you
get the info off it or use it for backup. If the new machine only does
SATA then stick it in a $20 external Firewire or USB2 box for the same.
I rarely throw out an old hard drive unless it died. Even then they
often recover if put in the refrig for a cool down. At least long
enough to get the data off. I had one I had to keep in the refrig while
getting the data off it. Wife thought I was nuts but it was her hard
drive so she put up with it until I got her data back. She now does
backups to keep computer parts out of the refrig more than any other reason.

Lousy skies here. Clouding up rapidly

Rick

Old April 30th 07, 06:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Doug,

excellent picture of this interesting galaxy.

Stefan

. ..

Old May 1st 07, 03:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Doug W." wrote

Doug,

Dang! Another one I'll have to add to my 'target list'. Super image!!

I just got back up and running after a mother board failure that I could
not fix... It also crashed the hard drive.....

Several months ago it cost me 2 grand to replace the mother board in my ABS
'gamer' laptop. However the hard drive and other parts were just fine.

George N

Old May 2nd 07, 03:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Thanks Stefan.. no more chances to image since this one... I can't get over
the fact that we have had so much cloud cover and humidity..

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old May 2nd 07, 03:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Thanks George... I got a new system for a bit less than that and it is nice
and fast and has 4 gig memory.. When the old system failed, it clobbered a
few blocks on the hard disk and by the time it finally went dead the HD
could not be accessed without formatting it.. I did not do that as the disk
is a small one and not good for much anyway. I had a replay TV DVR box that
had the digitizer fail and it cost more than it was worth to fix it... went
to TIVO and never looked back... anyway the box had a nice 320 gig Maxstore
drive in it which I formatted and put on the legacy IDE bus... that makes
for a lot of non critical storage... the main SATA drives are mirrored so I
should be safe for a while.

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com