Another date set for Falcon 9 Heavy

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 18th 16, 08:11 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Default Another date set for Falcon 9 Heavy

"Rick Jones" wrote in message ...

bob haller wrote:
now what could we put in orbit thats massive enough to make a high
flight rate affordable?

besides dont forget SLS cost is just the booster......... what sort
of payload would be worth it

Just a peanut-gallery guess, but a big, honking solar power satellite
is the first and only thing which comes to mind.

"Maybe". But there's a lot of economic reasons against pretty much any sort
of SPS (basically while you lose a lot of hours of sunshine here on earth,
driving a truck up and fixing deploying and fixing your solar panels is
helluva a lot cheaper than doing so at GEO.

I think if we had a robust Mars program and had to build something like
Hermes from The Martian, then, it might make sense to loft large single
payloads.

But even then, I suspect multiple Falcon 9 launches would be cheaper.

rick jones

Could Delta IV Heavy use the same technique as Falcon Heavy Alan Erskine[_3_] Space Shuttle 1 May 20th 11 07:56 AM
Falcon Heavy David Spain Policy 8 April 12th 11 08:49 PM
Falcon Heavy Snidely Space Shuttle 2 April 12th 11 08:49 PM
Falcon 9/Dragon shoot for Oct 23 launch date Pat Flannery Policy 6 September 3rd 10 11:43 AM
SpaceX still mum on Falcon 9 launch date Dr J R Stockton[_64_] Policy 4 April 3rd 10 11:07 PM