Farthest man from Earth?

Old May 24th 06, 06:42 PM posted to sci.space.history

Default Farthest man from Earth?

Which of the Apollo moon missions went the farthest away from the Earth? Is
there a recognized record holder? Perhaps the Moon was a few miles farther
out during one mission, or perhaps one mission orbited the Moon at a much
higher altitude, etc?

When the six missions landed, did any of the poor fellows left in moon orbit
end up adjusting said orbit to a much higher altitude?

Can we say with any accuracy that person X went the farthest away from the
Earth or that the three man team of X, Y, Z jointly holds the record for
being farthest away?

As happy as NASA is about their record books, I have never seen mention of
which astronaut(s) hold(s) this particular record...

John Gilbert

Old May 24th 06, 07:05 PM posted to sci.space.history

"John Gilbert" ) writes:
Which of the Apollo moon missions went the farthest away from the Earth?
Is there a recognized record holder? Perhaps the Moon was a few miles
farther out during one mission, or perhaps one mission orbited the Moon
at a much higher altitude, etc?

When the six missions landed, did any of the poor fellows left in moon
orbit end up adjusting said orbit to a much higher altitude?

No need to. Think about it; all the landings were on the side of the
Moon nearest to Earth. So, when any of the 6 CSMs manned by only the
CSM pilot went behind the Moon, relative to Earth, they had to be
farther from Earth than anyone on the Moon's Nearside surface.

Can we say with any accuracy that person X went the farthest away from the
Earth or that the three man team of X, Y, Z jointly holds the record for
being farthest away?

As happy as NASA is about their record books, I have never seen mention of
which astronaut(s) hold(s) this particular record...

Andre

Old May 24th 06, 07:09 PM posted to sci.space.history

Apolo 13 set the altitude record of 249,205 miles. Since it didn't go
into lunar orbit, it swung a bit farther out.
--
Gene Seibel
Space Ship One - http://pad39a.com/gene/ss1.html

Old May 24th 06, 07:14 PM posted to sci.space.history

"Gene Seibel" wrote in message
oups.com...
Apolo 13 set the altitude record of 249,205 miles. Since it didn't go
into lunar orbit, it swung a bit farther out.
--
Gene Seibel
Space Ship One - http://pad39a.com/gene/ss1.html
Because I fly, I envy no one - except Mike Melvill.

Thank you!

John Gilbert

Old May 24th 06, 08:52 PM posted to sci.space.history

Apollo-15 was at the moon when
the moon was farthest from earth
of any apollo flight...

but apollo-8's record stands because
no later flight exceeded it by the required
10% margin.

nk.net...

Old June 3rd 06, 01:00 PM posted to sci.space.history

Am Wed, 24 May 2006 19:52:00 GMT schrieb "Jim Oberg":

Apollo-15 was at the moon when
the moon was farthest from earth
of any apollo flight...

but apollo-8's record stands because
no later flight exceeded it by the required
10% margin.

If leaving FAI record books aside: that doesn't answer the question,
whether A15's CMP orbited moon somewhen higher than in one of the
orbits united with his colleagues, so maybe he might be the sole
_real_ record holder. And this leads to a second interesting question,
who is/was the man farthest away from _any_ other human being, that
also can only be one of the lunar landing mission Apollo CMPs - that
must not necessarily the A15 CMP, but the one who had the highest
lunar orbit while solo flying...
cu, ZiLi aka HKZL

--
Gib mir die Zahlen die Du hast,
und gib mir die Zahlen die Du brauchst -
Old June 3rd 06, 06:44 PM posted to sci.space.history

Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker (zili@home) wrote:
Am Wed, 24 May 2006 19:52:00 GMT schrieb "Jim Oberg":

Apollo-15 was at the moon when
the moon was farthest from earth
of any apollo flight...

but apollo-8's record stands because
no later flight exceeded it by the required
10% margin.

If leaving FAI record books aside: that doesn't answer the question,
whether A15's CMP orbited moon somewhen higher than in one of the
orbits united with his colleagues, so maybe he might be the sole
_real_ record holder. And this leads to a second interesting question,
who is/was the man farthest away from _any_ other human being, that
also can only be one of the lunar landing mission Apollo CMPs - that
must not necessarily the A15 CMP, but the one who had the highest
lunar orbit while solo flying...

No doubt one of the black programs missions to venus being they are
top secret the crews cant accept the award....
cu, ZiLi aka HKZL

Old June 3rd 06, 06:56 PM posted to sci.space.history

who ever the crew on the space shuttle that reported
adverse effects when they neared the van allen belt,that was also
reported on cnn,
i consider to be the farthest men from earth.
apollo didnt leave earths orbit
plenty of evidence here to back this up.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...7&q=illuminati