It's robbing me blind!

Old March 8th 04, 06:16 PM
Martin R. Howell

Default It's robbing me blind!

Although my yard serves up a fairly nice hunk of the night sky for viewing,
there is one major problem. . .a shopping center about 2 miles away severely
impacts my southern sky. NELM is cut by about three magnitudes for a swath
of the horizon perhaps 35 degrees wide and 20 degrees high. This time of
year, the goodies of Orion, Canis Major, and Lepus all suffer to some extent
and a trip to another location is a necessity for inspiring views of most of
the objects behind the "curtain of light." I am thankful for the relatively
good condition of the majority of my sky but it sure would be nice if that
shopping center was not there.

A tree? A billboard? A building? What is it that is robbing you blind
from your observation spot at home and how much is the loss?

---
Martin
Remove "ilikestars" from email address

Old March 9th 04, 03:34 AM
Stephen Paul

"Martin R. Howell" wrote in message
ink.net...

A tree? A billboard? A building? What is it that is robbing you blind
from your observation spot at home and how much is the loss?

A prison to my south. The limiting magnitude on all but the most transparent
nights is less than 4 below -25 degrees declination. That's why I was okay
with building on the northern slope of the primary hill in town. I
effectively eliminated everything below -35 degrees declination (my southern
tree line) from view (about 10 degrees of southern exposure), which is awash
in the glow; maybe magntiude 3 down there. Still, I can observe and image
all of the Messier objects from my backyard. So as far as things go, I won't
complain too much.

To put that into perspective, the ZLM is sometimes as good as magnitude 6,
and I can almost always see the magnitude 5.7 star on the line between Eta
and Zeta Ursae Minoris when the transparency is good. So, those numbers in
the south are dismal. I am also seeing an increase background sky brightness
to my east and west. This is now reaching above the tree lines and
encroaching on zenith, which is most distressing. Fortunately, I should have
a good long run on zenith at magnitude 5.5 or so, as light pollution is
highly localized and there's 100's of acres of pristine land here in the
local area. Some of it privately owned and some of it conservation land that
belongs to the town. There is however a lot of development going on in the
larger area proper. There's no escaping the escalating light domes all
around me.

Bummer.

Old March 9th 04, 08:26 PM
Orion

You should try my neighborhood, lights in every direction, mag 2-3 on a good
night.(near the zenith, BTW)
Orion

Old March 10th 04, 01:15 AM
Old Nick

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 17:16:18 GMT, "Martin R. Howell"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

The Sun bothers me most. The only time it's not there, it's cloudy!

A tree? A billboard? A building? What is it that is robbing you blind
from your observation spot at home and how much is the loss?

Actually, trees are our biggest problem, but also shield the area from
light.

..........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?