Prism Diagonal Anti Chromatic Aberration Effect?

Old July 15th 03, 01:57 PM
Jon Isaacs

Default Prism Diagonal Anti Chromatic Aberration Effect?

Just wondering if we, who use Newtonian reflector telescopes, are
somehow missing something.
Clear Skies,
Tom W

False color???

Jon
Old July 15th 03, 02:00 PM
Phil Wheeler

Jon Isaacs wrote:
Just wondering if we, who use Newtonian reflector telescopes, are
somehow missing something.
Clear Skies,
Tom W

False color???

And high prices?

Phil

Old July 15th 03, 03:02 PM
optidud

When you view thru a mirror diagonal versus a prism diagonal. Didn't
you
notice there is something so mirror-like in the image of the mirror
diagonal. Also you can try to look at an object in your room using a
mirror diagonal without eyepiece or telescope. The object becomes
mirror
like versus seeing them straight with your eyes. Maybe this is why
this
guy doesn't prefer mirror. A prism may have internal reflection but it
is
not caused by aluminum or dielectric filling reflections. It's as if
this
guy's eyes can detect the presence and/or density of the aluminum or
dielectric filling thereby affecting the final image quality in the
vision
center in his brain (perhaps removing the 3D or reality effect). So
purist
as he is, a super prism diagonal may still make sense. Speaking of
which,
does anyone know which has the better quality, the takahashi or baader
(AP)
prism diagonal? Which of them is fully multi-coated and has better
spherical correction. I may join this purist guy in getting a prism
diagonal instead
of a mirror.

optidud

bwhiting wrote in message ...

The reason I prefer refractors is that I like the idea of looking directly at an
object rather than at a reflection of it.

What's so wrong about looking at a 'reflection'....or actually 2
reflections when you count a secondary mirror...as compared to
a severely 'bended cone of converging light'? (Which actually has a
higher probability of introducing chromatic and spherical aberrations).

Do you believe that a double reflected image is somehow not giving you
reliable information?? Do you dis-believe your own reflected image in a
mirror??

Old July 15th 03, 04:25 PM
Jon Isaacs

When you view thru a mirror diagonal versus a prism diagonal. Didn't
you
notice there is something so mirror-like in the image of the mirror
diagonal.

I have viewed through a number of mirror diagonals and prism diagonals ranging
from some simple Orion units to a 2 inch TeleVue Everbrite. With a decent
diagonal, its presence is only noticeable because the image is inverted.

A prism may have internal reflection but it
is
not caused by aluminum or dielectric filling reflections. It's as if
this
guy's eyes can detect the presence and/or density of the aluminum or
dielectric filling thereby affecting the final image quality in the vision
center in his brain (perhaps removing the 3D or reality effect).

If the maker of diagonal annoints it properly and makes sure the final coatings
are done under the light of the full moon, then the ability of the observer to
detect those stray photons caused by the dastardly mirror is eliminated.

A true but little known fact is that both Roland Christen and Al Nagler only
coat their diagonals during the Full Moon.

jon isaacs

Old July 15th 03, 04:33 PM
Herm

well, with reflections you are not seeing the original ancient photons..
then again I'm not sure thats also not true of refractors.. how do photons
actually travel thru glass?..

Astropics http://home.att.net/~hermperez

Old July 15th 03, 05:24 PM
Chris1011

A true but little known fact is that both Roland Christen and Al Nagler only
coat their diagonals during the Full Moon.

And then they are spit polished.

Roland Christen
Old July 16th 03, 04:36 AM
Alan W. Craft

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:00:29 GMT, Phil Wheeler ...reflected:

Jon Isaacs wrote:
Just wondering if we, who use Newtonian reflector telescopes, are
somehow missing something.
Clear Skies,
Tom W

False color???

And high prices?

Phil

Go ahead, pick on the refractorphile who's already
stated how he desires a Newtonian to complement his
apochromat.

8^P

Alan

Old July 16th 03, 05:22 AM
Alan W. Craft

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 05:46:30 -0400, bwhiting ...reflected:

The reason I prefer refractors is that I like the idea of looking directly at an
object rather than at a reflection of it.

What's so wrong about looking at a 'reflection'....or actually 2
reflections when you count a secondary mirror...as compared to
a severely 'bended cone of converging light'? (Which actually has a
higher probability of introducing chromatic and spherical aberrations).

Do you believe that a double reflected image is somehow not giving you
reliable information?? Do you dis-believe your own reflected image in a
mirror??
Just wondering if we, who use Newtonian reflector telescopes, are
somehow missing something.

Not at all, as I myself am very seriously considering a Newtonian at
a later date, either an 8" or 10" Parks 'Nitelight' 10", and perhaps
sooner than I anticipate...

Medusa's visage didst turn to stone
Many a hero who'd have given a throne
For a mere mirror'd face to reflect her own!

Clear Skies,
Tom W.

Alan

Old July 16th 03, 05:29 AM
Alan W. Craft

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:33:41 -0400, Herm ...reflected:

well, with reflections you are not seeing the original ancient photons..
then again I'm not sure thats also not true of refractors.. how do photons
actually travel thru glass?..

Nevertheless, the next best thing...the next best thing...

Old July 16th 03, 05:35 AM
Alan W. Craft

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 05:46:30 -0400, bwhiting ...reflected:

The reason I prefer refractors is that I like the idea of looking directly at an
object rather than at a reflection of it.

What's so wrong about looking at a 'reflection'....or actually 2
reflections when you count a secondary mirror...as compared to
a severely 'bended cone of converging light'? (Which actually has a
higher probability of introducing chromatic and spherical aberrations).

Do you believe that a double reflected image is somehow not giving you
reliable information?? Do you dis-believe your own reflected image in a
mirror??
Just wondering if we, who use Newtonian reflector telescopes, are
somehow missing something.

Not at all, as I myself am very seriously considering a Newtonian at
a later date, either an 8" or 10" Parks 'Nitelight', and perhaps sooner