My uncle is visiting tonight...

Old July 14th 03, 02:51 AM
Alan W. Craft

Default My uncle is visiting tonight...

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:04:59 GMT, Chris L Peterson ...reflected:

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:34:34 -0500, Alan W. Craft
wrote:

...and "Clarke."

Is this really so? In looking around, it seems that both are used, but "Clark"
is far more common. Nearly all the references I could find are to "Alvan Clark
and Sons", including some auction sites that specifically use that spelling in
describing telescopes.

You're quite correct, as this should definitively decide it...

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~jmontani/clark.htm

....though I assumed that it was "Clarke" rather than "Clark" in that it is "Alvan"
rather than "Alvin", though that wouldn't necessarily follow.

Perhaps the "e" was dropped sometime after his ancestors arrived here in the
New World, depending.

I couldn't find anything suggesting why both names are seen. He was American,
and "Clarke" is an unusual spelling here.

_______________________________________________ __

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Alan, not "Allen" nor "Alyn"

Old July 14th 03, 04:14 AM
Scribe2b

exactly why Grant made sure Jackson was taken first. so maybe the scope
would
have wound up back in Ohio was booty.
jc

?

Alan

alan

oxford (then jackson soon after) were taken before vickburg. the scope, like
all of vickburg's surrendered british percussion rifles, would have become
union war booty. grant was from ohio. he mentions loving the stars, in the
autobio he wrote when he was dying, and needed to feed his family.
hey, where are the closest dark skies to oxford?
jc

Old July 15th 03, 08:43 AM
Vernon

"Alan W. Craft" wrote in message

...and will be bringing me a "telescope" to look at,
let alone to look through.

He paid twenty dollars for it...somewhere...and could
not answer when I asked, "Is it a reflector?"

shudder

Alan

So, don't keep us all in suspense - what was it?

Old July 15th 03, 10:33 AM
Alan W. Craft

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:43:26 +0100, "Vernon" ...reflected:

"Alan W. Craft" wrote in message
.. .

...and will be bringing me a "telescope" to look at,
let alone to look through.

He paid twenty dollars for it...somewhere...and could
not answer when I asked, "Is it a reflector?"

shudder

Alan

So, don't keep us all in suspense - what was it?

Aaaaah, he didn't show, but maybe next week.
I'm just as curious as you.

Stay tuned!

Alan

Old July 15th 03, 03:25 PM
Scribe2b

I do declare, as they sport napkins and flatware.

alan
try putting out some dry ice. skeets track you by carbon dioxide exhalation.
i'd play some possumblues RL Burnside just to be on the safe side
jc
Old July 16th 03, 02:50 PM
Scribe2b

Oh no! Handel, or nothing.

that close to the big muddy i'd think you get enough water music as is.
stockhausen seems more cosmic actually
jc