Google Joins Large Synoptic Survey Telescope Project (Forwarded)

Old January 6th 07, 06:19 PM posted to sci.astro
Andrew Yee

Default Google Joins Large Synoptic Survey Telescope Project (Forwarded)

Large Synoptic Survey Telescope
Tucson, Arizona

Science Contact Information:

J. Anthony Tyson, LSST Director
530-752-3830

Donald Sweeney, LSST Project Manager
520-661-9247

Media Contact Information:

Suzanne Jacoby, LSST Corporation
520-881-2626

January 5, 2007

RELEASE: LSSTC-05

Google Joins Large Synoptic Survey Telescope Project

Google has joined a group of nineteen universities and national labs that
are building the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST).

Scheduled to begin operations in 2013, the 8.4-meter LSST will be able to
survey the entire visible sky deeply in multiple colors every week with
its three-billion pixel digital camera, probing the mysteries of Dark
Matter and Dark Energy, and opening a movie-like window on objects that
change or move rapidly: exploding supernovae, potentially hazardous
near-Earth asteroids as small as 100 meters, and distant Kuiper Belt
Objects. LSST is a public-private partnership.

LSST and Google share many of the same goals: organizing massive
quantities of data and making it useful. Over 30 thousand gigabytes (30TB)
of images will be generated every night during the decade-long LSST sky
survey. The massive amount of data from LSST must be managed efficiently
and analyzed in real time. Key areas in the Google-LSST collaboration will
be: organizing the massive ingestion of information, processing and
analyzing the continuous data streams in a 24/7 fault tolerant manner,
enabling the new discoveries coming out of the LSST to be made available
to the public and researchers in real time, and working with and managing
large parallel data systems. In addition to aiding professional scientists
and amateur astronomers, properly organized the LSST data will generate a
new and dynamic view of the night sky for the public. LSST data will be
valuable to curious minds of all ages, and will provide a powerful
teaching tool.

In applying for membership, William Coughran, Google VP of Engineering,
said: "Google's mission is to take the world's information and make it
universally accessible and useful. The data from LSST will be an important
part of the world's information, and by being involved in the project we
hope to make it easier for that data to become accessible and useful."

"The LSST will be the world's most powerful survey telescope, with vast
data management challenges. LSST engineers and scientists have been
collaborating with Google on a number of these exciting opportunities.
Even though the Universe is very old, exciting things happen every second.
The LSST will be able to find these events hundreds of times better than
today's other big telescopes. Google will help us organize and present the
seemingly overwhelming volumes of data collected by the LSST," said Donald
Sweeney, LSST Project Manager.

"Partnering with Google will significantly enhance our ability to convert
LSST data to knowledge," said University of California, Davis, Professor
and LSST Director J. Anthony Tyson. "LSST will change the way we observe
the universe by mapping the visible sky deeply, rapidly, and continuously.
It will open entirely new windows on our universe, yielding discoveries in
a variety of areas of astronomy and fundamental physics. Innovations in
data management will play a central role."

More information about the LSST including current images, graphics, and
animation can be found at
http://www.lsst.org

In 2003, the National Optical Astronomy Observatory, Research Corporation,
The University of Arizona, and the University of Washington formed the
LSST Corporation, a non-profit 501(c)3 Arizona corporation, with
headquarters in Tucson, AZ. Membership has expanded to include Brookhaven
National Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, Columbia
University, Google Inc., Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics,
Johns Hopkins University, Kavli Institute for Particle Astrophysics and
Cosmology - Stanford University, Las Cumbres Observatory Inc., Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory, Princeton University, Stanford Linear
Accelerator Center, The Pennsylvania State University, University of
California at Davis, University of California at Irvine, University of
Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and University of Pennsylvania.

The LSST research and development effort is funded in part by the National
Science Foundation under Scientific Program Order No. 9 (AST-0551161)
through Cooperative Agreement AST-0132798. Additional funding comes from
private donations, in-kind support at Department of Energy laboratories
and other LSSTC Institutional Members.

IMAGE CAPTION:
[http://www.lsst.org/News/images/LSST_Rendering_VK.jpg (3.42MB)]
Google Inc. has joined with nineteen other organizations to build the
Large Synoptic Survey Telescope, scheduled to see first light atop Cerro
Pachón in Chile in 2013. Image Credit: Michael Mullen Design, LSST
Corporation.

Old January 6th 07, 07:04 PM posted to sci.astro
[email protected][_1_]

Google, the mafia pirates of the Internet are now astronomers.

Old January 6th 07, 09:13 PM posted to sci.astro
Sorcerer

wrote in message oups.com...
| Google, the mafia pirates of the Internet are now astronomers.

The internet IS, you are not compelled to use anyone's search
engine.

Google has always been involved in large databases, that is
their business. The very name is a pun of a googol = 10^100.
Yes, Google are now astronomers.

I expect those grapes you can't reach are sour, huh?
Old January 7th 07, 02:32 AM posted to sci.astro
[email protected][_1_]

| Google, the mafia pirates of the Internet are now astronomers.

The internet IS, you are not compelled to use anyone's search
engine.

Google has always been involved in large databases, that is
their business. The very name is a pun of a googol = 10^100.
Yes, Google are now astronomers.

I expect those grapes you can't reach are sour, huh?

Fine, be a stupid astronomer. He who does not see, looks.

Old January 7th 07, 04:13 AM posted to sci.astro
[email protected][_1_]

| Google, the mafia pirates of the Internet are now astronomers.

The internet IS, you are not compelled to use anyone's search
engine.

Google has always been involved in large databases, that is
their business. The very name is a pun of a googol = 10^100.
Yes, Google are now astronomers.

I expect those grapes you can't reach are sour, huh?

Fine, be a stupid astronomer. He who does not see, looks.

Actually I am protesting Google Inc for establishing its business as
pirate and mafia.

Usenet Groups are public and global. As with telephone companies, the
rule is you cannot infringe on the content of chat, be it of general
interest, professional or little interest chat. Taking chat from a
global public discussion space violates human rights. Google offers
limited privacy, sets a business contract on people, takes their
private materials without written consent, and bviolate human rights. I
don't care what a company does if it violates human rights. Be human.

Ciao.

Old January 7th 07, 02:06 PM posted to sci.astro
Sorcerer

wrote in message ups.com...
| | Google, the mafia pirates of the Internet are now astronomers.
|
| The internet IS, you are not compelled to use anyone's search
| engine.
|
| Google has always been involved in large databases, that is
| their business. The very name is a pun of a googol = 10^100.
| Yes, Google are now astronomers.
|
| I expect those grapes you can't reach are sour, huh?
|
| Fine, be a stupid astronomer. He who does not see, looks.
|
| Actually I am protesting Google Inc for establishing its business as
| pirate and mafia.
|
| Usenet Groups are public and global.

Yeah, so?

| As with telephone companies, the
| rule is you cannot infringe on the content of chat, be it of general
| interest, professional or little interest chat. Taking chat from a
| global public discussion space violates human rights. Google offers
| limited privacy, sets a business contract on people, takes their
| private materials without written consent, and bviolate human rights. I
| don't care what a company does if it violates human rights. Be human.

You've just posted and made it public and global.
What did Google do to prevent it?
What ARE you babbling about?

Old January 7th 07, 03:41 PM posted to sci.astro
[email protected][_1_]

| | Google, the mafia pirates of the Internet are now astronomers.
|
| The internet IS, you are not compelled to use anyone's search
| engine.
|
| Google has always been involved in large databases, that is
| their business. The very name is a pun of a googol = 10^100.
| Yes, Google are now astronomers.
|
| I expect those grapes you can't reach are sour, huh?
|
| Fine, be a stupid astronomer. He who does not see, looks.
|
| Actually I am protesting Google Inc for establishing its business as
| pirate and mafia.
|
| Usenet Groups are public and global.

Yeah, so?

| As with telephone companies, the
| rule is you cannot infringe on the content of chat, be it of general
| interest, professional or little interest chat. Taking chat from a
| global public discussion space violates human rights. Google offers
| limited privacy, sets a business contract on people, takes their
| private materials without written consent, and bviolate human rights. I
| don't care what a company does if it violates human rights. Be human.

You've just posted and made it public and global.
What did Google do to prevent it?
What ARE you babbling about?

Don't tell me you are curious. Are you elite over the use of my words,
or are you flirting?

Old January 7th 07, 03:46 PM posted to sci.astro
[email protected][_1_]

| | Google, the mafia pirates of the Internet are now astronomers.
|
| The internet IS, you are not compelled to use anyone's search
| engine.
|
| Google has always been involved in large databases, that is
| their business. The very name is a pun of a googol = 10^100.
| Yes, Google are now astronomers.
|
| I expect those grapes you can't reach are sour, huh?
|
| Fine, be a stupid astronomer. He who does not see, looks.
|
| Actually I am protesting Google Inc for establishing its business as
| pirate and mafia.
|
| Usenet Groups are public and global.

Yeah, so?

| As with telephone companies, the
| rule is you cannot infringe on the content of chat, be it of general
| interest, professional or little interest chat. Taking chat from a
| global public discussion space violates human rights. Google offers
| limited privacy, sets a business contract on people, takes their
| private materials without written consent, and bviolate human rights. I
| don't care what a company does if it violates human rights. Be human.

You've just posted and made it public and global.
What did Google do to prevent it?
What ARE you babbling about?

Don't tell me you are curious. Are you elite over the use of my words,
or are you flirting?

There is a level you know. Its what allows me to eat people as a
Cannibal. Think evolutionary chain. I am not a human rights activist.
I am a Cannibal. I eat people. Is that satisfying? I seek out
prehistoric
food, extracted from the mental level just slightly above dolphins,
prove
my point, then make a move.

Old January 7th 07, 04:01 PM posted to sci.astro
[email protected][_1_]

| | Google, the mafia pirates of the Internet are now astronomers.
|
| The internet IS, you are not compelled to use anyone's search
| engine.
|
| Google has always been involved in large databases, that is
| their business. The very name is a pun of a googol = 10^100.
| Yes, Google are now astronomers.
|
| I expect those grapes you can't reach are sour, huh?
|
| Fine, be a stupid astronomer. He who does not see, looks.
|
| Actually I am protesting Google Inc for establishing its business as
| pirate and mafia.
|
| Usenet Groups are public and global.

Yeah, so?

| As with telephone companies, the
| rule is you cannot infringe on the content of chat, be it of general
| interest, professional or little interest chat. Taking chat from a
| global public discussion space violates human rights. Google offers
| limited privacy, sets a business contract on people, takes their
| private materials without written consent, and bviolate human rights. I
| don't care what a company does if it violates human rights. Be human.

You've just posted and made it public and global.
What did Google do to prevent it?
What ARE you babbling about?

Don't tell me you are curious. Are you elite over the use of my words,
or are you flirting?

There is a level you know. Its what allows me to eat people as a
Cannibal. Think evolutionary chain. I am not a human rights activist.
I am a Cannibal. I eat people. Is that satisfying? I seek out
prehistoric
food, extracted from the mental level just slightly above dolphins,
prove
my point, then make a move.

Let's put it this way. All normal people understand that Google
violates
privacy. But I have a feeling, that it is satisfying for some to claim
otherwise. And being a Cannibal, the key is for me to be at a higher
evolutionary level, which allows me to eat people. I am a human
being, and some, being so closed-minded, makes my saliva drip.
I can't help it.

Old January 7th 07, 06:56 PM posted to sci.astro
Sorcerer

wrote in message ups.com...
| | | Google, the mafia pirates of the Internet are now astronomers.
| |
| | The internet IS, you are not compelled to use anyone's search
| | engine.
| |
| | Google has always been involved in large databases, that is
| | their business. The very name is a pun of a googol = 10^100.
| | Yes, Google are now astronomers.
| |
| | I expect those grapes you can't reach are sour, huh?
| |
| | Fine, be a stupid astronomer. He who does not see, looks.
| |
| | Actually I am protesting Google Inc for establishing its business as
| | pirate and mafia.
| |
| | Usenet Groups are public and global.
|

| Yeah, so?
|

| | As with telephone companies, the
| | rule is you cannot infringe on the content of chat, be it of general
| | interest, professional or little interest chat. Taking chat from a
| | global public discussion space violates human rights. Google offers
| | limited privacy, sets a business contract on people, takes their
| | private materials without written consent, and bviolate human rights. I
| | don't care what a company does if it violates human rights. Be human.
| |
| You've just posted and made it public and global.
| What did Google do to prevent it?
| What ARE you babbling about?
|
| Don't tell me you are curious. Are you elite over the use of my words,
| or are you flirting?

Not really, I've decided you are a total ****ing cretin, imbecile, idiot and ****head all rolled into one.
*plonk*