Growing Cosmic Snowflakes

Old August 8th 06, 08:18 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics
Craig Fink

Default Growing Cosmic Snowflakes

So, if I wanted to try to grow some Cosmic Snowflakes at the Space Station
to see what they look like, would I have to talk to the Russians about it?
Isn't NASA is getting out of the Experiment Business on the Space Station
for a while.

Let's see, what do I need.

$20,000,000 Transportation(ticket).
$15,000,000 Going outside (suit rental).
$0 Labor
$10,000 Experimental Equipment.
$100 Gallon ultra pure water.
$10 Space rated ice cream scoop.
$1000 Cleaning
$100,000 Misc brakets, fittings...
$1 Ziplock Bags

35,111,111 SubTotal

$???????? Going outside (collect sample)
$???? Lodging (extra days)
$??? Meals

TBD Total

Am I missing anything on my list?

Oh, yeah, the radio, to get extra data downlinked.

Hummm, I was thinking about getting a Ham radio anyway.

Amateur satellite radio would work for downlinking data, wouldn't it?

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old August 8th 06, 08:34 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics
Sam Wormley

Craig Fink wrote:
So, if I wanted to try to grow some Cosmic Snowflakes at the Space Station
to see what they look like, would I have to talk to the Russians about it?
Isn't NASA is getting out of the Experiment Business on the Space Station
for a while.

Am I missing anything on my list?

Snow flake need nucleation sites, among other things.
Old August 8th 06, 08:40 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics
Craig Fink

Oh, yeah, your right.

A list of Questions.

1) Are Cosmic Snowflakes self nucleating?

Thanks,

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @

Old August 8th 06, 08:43 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics
Sam Wormley

Craig Fink wrote:
Oh, yeah, your right.

A list of Questions.

1) Are Cosmic Snowflakes self nucleating?

Thanks,

I think you better check google and find out how snow flakes
form and grow in the earth atmosphere.

Old August 8th 06, 09:10 PM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics
Craig Fink

A list of Questions.

0) Do Cosmic Snowflakes exist and can be grown?
1) Are Cosmic Snowflakes self nucleating?
2) What atom/molecule is best for nucleation of Cosmic Snowflakes?

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 19:43:41 +0000, Sam Wormley wrote:

I think you better check google and find out how snow flakes
form and grow in the earth atmosphere.

I'm not that interested in nucleation of atmospherically generate snowflakes
right now, maybe another time. Go ahead if you want to though.
Old August 9th 06, 09:33 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics
Jim Black

Craig Fink wrote:
A list of Questions.

0) Do Cosmic Snowflakes exist and can be grown?
1) Are Cosmic Snowflakes self nucleating?
2) What atom/molecule is best for nucleation of Cosmic Snowflakes?

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
--

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 19:43:41 +0000, Sam Wormley wrote:

I think you better check google and find out how snow flakes
form and grow in the earth atmosphere.

I'm not that interested in nucleation of atmospherically generate snowflakes
right now, maybe another time.

Why not? It would probably help you answer your questions #1 and #2.

Old August 9th 06, 10:48 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics
Craig Fink

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 01:33:26 -0700, Jim Black wrote:

Craig Fink wrote:
A list of Questions.

0) Do Cosmic Snowflakes exist and can be grown? 1) Are Cosmic
Snowflakes self nucleating? 2) What atom/molecule is best for
nucleation of Cosmic Snowflakes?

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @ --

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 19:43:41 +0000, Sam Wormley wrote:
I think you better check google and find out how snow flakes form
and grow in the earth atmosphere.

I'm not that interested in nucleation of atmospherically generate
snowflakes right now, maybe another time.

Why not? It would probably help you answer your questions #1 and #2.

Yes, true. I shouldn't have answered so quickly, as "another time" was
a rather short short time away. While looking up Snowflake densities, I
also looked up Snowflake self-nucleation. They do in Antartica from clear
skies. But, the questions would still be valid about Cosmic Snowflakes
forming in a vacuum instead of the atmosphere.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/msnow2cold.html ...Surprisingly, in
very cold climates, particularly Antarctica, snow does not always fall
from visible clouds, but from an apparently clear sky. This may involve a
process called self-nucleation, in which vapor molecules come together by
chance without benefit of a nucleus. This sort of snowfall is extremely
light, but it can continue for days on end. I have seen anecdotal reports
of this sort of snow often falling at or below -58ºF (-50ºC) in
Antarctica, but I have been unable to find official records to confirm
this...

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old August 13th 06, 01:59 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics
Craig Fink

A list of Questions.

0) Do Cosmic Snowflakes exist and can be grown?
1) Are Cosmic Snowflakes self nucleating?
2) What atom/molecule is best for nucleation of Cosmic Snowflakes?

More questions?

3) Do snowflakes form in Earth orbit from the solar wind (hydrogen) and
upper atmospheric oxygen (O+ ions).
3.1) Where inside the Earth's Magnitosphere would conditions be favorable
or Water formation.

Feel free to participate.

--
Craig Fink
Courtesy E-Mail Welcome @
Old August 13th 06, 02:07 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics
Craig Fink

A list of Questions.

0) Do Cosmic Snowflakes exist and can be grown? 1) Are Cosmic
Snowflakes self nucleating? 2) What atom/molecule is best for
nucleation of Cosmic Snowflakes?

More questions?

3) Do snowflakes form in Earth orbit from the solar wind (hydrogen) and
upper atmospheric oxygen (O+ ions).
3.1) Where inside the Earth's Magnitosphere would conditions be favorable
or Water formation. Like: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap980421.html

Feel free to participate.

--
Craig Fink