New Research

Old May 17th 06, 07:20 AM posted to sci.space.policy

Default New Research

New Las Cruces Rocket Company X-Prize Competitor
Wednesday 17,2006, Newly relocated to Las Cruces, Lee Rush President of
Thrugate Aerospace told the X-Prize Foundation that Thrugate would be
competing for the Five Hundred Thousand dollar proposed NASA X-Prize
Re-usable Rocket competition at the X-Prize Cup in October.
John Gedmark of the X-Prize Foundation called Thrugate Aerospace on
Tuesday May 9 2006 and asked if they were interested in the Re-usable
Rocket Competition to launch 50 lbs of payload to 5,000 feet.
If the last X-prize competition is any example, there could also be a
multi-million dollar contract for the winner.
"The odds are long but for an outfit our size the stakes are high,"
said Lee.
NASA is looking for a re-usable sounding rocket.
Last year the sounding rocket market in the U.S. grossed 100 million
dollars and employed 1,100 people. A re-usable rocket will allow more
work and jobs in a wide range of research from astronomy to medicine,
with the possibility of expanding the size of the market.
"Our current experimental rocket can be re-used many times. Scaled up
to competition size it could win the X-prize Cup and maybe take a piece
of the sounding rocket market," said Lee.
However, thrilled that such a prize is within their reach, Thrugate's
President is sober about the task ahead. "It's going to take lots
of work, lots of money, and more people. We'll have to rely heavily
on money from local sponsors and support from local companies."
Please send money or donations to Thrugate Aerospace Po Box 1850
Mesilla Park NM 88047.
To learn more about Thrugate aerospace visit www.thrugateaerospace.com