Planets in the solar system

Old September 30th 03, 04:08 AM
Zarkovic

Yup it did, especially the link, because I needed to list my resources.
Thank you.

Old September 30th 03, 04:08 AM
Jerry Abbott

"Zarkovic" wrote in message
Hi guys
Can someone tell me a bit more exactly what is the total percentage for

the
mass of the planets in our solar system and since I am assuming it's about
1% (or mabye even less???) or just about, how can we use the gravity

assist
for satellites if the Sun composes the other 99% of the mass in our solar
system. If i understand this gravity assist concept, then shouldn't the

ever
massive Sun alter the voyages of the satellites or is it taken into

account
depending on the destinatons of our satellies. Also can someone kind of
expand a bit more about this gravity assist thing for me a bit. Thanks

guys.

The sun's mass is 1.99E+30 kg. All the planets together weigh about
2.71E+27 kg. The sun contains 99.86% of the solar system's mass.

Densities of terrestrial planets.

I came up with this based on Mars, Earth and the moon.

M is the planet's mass in units of Earth's mass (=5.976E+24 kg).
rho is the average density in grams per cubic centimeter.

rho = 0.5286 (log M)^2 + 2.144 log M + 5.515

0.01 M ~1.2

I have a different one for Jovian planets somewhere around here. Can't find
it just now though. Do your own curvefit.

Darn if I didn't lose my curvefit for the mass-luminosity relationship too.
I had a nice three-part one for the average-age main sequence stars.

Jerry Abbott