ASTRO: Abell 72

Old December 20th 08, 10:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: Abell 72

Abell 72 is a planetary nebula in Delphinus. When I imaged it in July I used
an OIII filter that was not made for CCD imaging, which produces soft halos
around stars when not used in conjunction to an IR-block filter. I now have
an OIII filter that was made for CCD, which gives much better detail.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a 10" Meade ARC at f/5.7 on a G11
mount, SXV-H9 camera, 39x5 minutes through an Astronomik OIII filter, 3x5
minutes for Halpha).

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp2/Abell72colourgut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Abell72colourgut.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	2282
Old December 22nd 08, 05:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:
Abell 72 is a planetary nebula in Delphinus. When I imaged it in July I used
an OIII filter that was not made for CCD imaging, which produces soft halos
around stars when not used in conjunction to an IR-block filter. I now have
an OIII filter that was made for CCD, which gives much better detail.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a 10" Meade ARC at f/5.7 on a G11
mount, SXV-H9 camera, 39x5 minutes through an Astronomik OIII filter, 3x5
minutes for Halpha).

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp2/Abell72colourgut.jpg

Stefan

Second try:
My first try never hit the server so trying again. Hope this isn't a
duplicate.

I've not seen this one before. Abell Planetary catalog isn't one I've
explored though by accident have imaged a couple on the list.

That's a neat one. Unfortunately my horrid winter seeing appears to
have set in so not sure when I can give it a try. Even with the "wrong"
filter it shows good detail. I'll have to give that catalog a look
though I think most are well under 1' in size as I recall. One though
is really a ring galaxy as I recall, Very tiny but it is on my list of
weird galaxies.

We are getting nothing but snow or when sort of clear, as tonight,
seeing is 6"+. Trying to find a focus is futile. Cooling the camera
isn't a problem. It was at -27C when I turned it on! But so far seeing
is so bad I can't do a thing. Snow forecast for the next week or so.

Rick