ASTRO: Saturn, Titan, & Dione in poor seeing

Old March 29th 09, 03:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Adriano

Default ASTRO: Saturn, Titan, & Dione in poor seeing

Yes, the seeing was absolutely horrible but I couldn't resist trying to
capture Titan with my webcam. It was my first attempt as all other times
were clouded out or it happened too early or late. I was very surprised
that, through the noise, Dione peeked out! I have no idea at what
magnitude it shines but I was sure it was too dim to pick up. It's just
to the left and below the tip of the rings on the left. If you know the
magnitude of Dione, please let me know.

1336 frames, C8 at f/50, ToUCam.

Thanks!
--
Adriano
34°14'11.7"N

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saturn-Titan-Dione-2009-03-28-00-24-1336.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	2368
Old March 29th 09, 04:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Adriano

Adriano wrote:
If you know the
magnitude of Dione, please let me know.

OK, found it myself

Titan = 8.2
Dione = 10.2

--
Adriano
34°14'11.7"N
Old March 29th 09, 05:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Adriano wrote:
Yes, the seeing was absolutely horrible but I couldn't resist trying to
capture Titan with my webcam. It was my first attempt as all other times
were clouded out or it happened too early or late. I was very surprised
that, through the noise, Dione peeked out! I have no idea at what
magnitude it shines but I was sure it was too dim to pick up. It's just
to the left and below the tip of the rings on the left. If you know the
magnitude of Dione, please let me know.

1336 frames, C8 at f/50, ToUCam.

Thanks!

Just be glad you have any seeing. Snow has been the norm here of late
with up to 10" forecast for Monday. Some say it will mostly go south of
us. Hope those are the correct ones. Red River doesn't need any more
help. We aren't in that flood area being 100 miles east and 45 feet
above the lake.

Rick

Old March 29th 09, 09:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Nice image, I really should swap the CCD for the webcam at least once...
According to Guide 8 Dione is at mag 10.3, which is quite remarkable for an
unmodified webcam. Probably not visible in a single frame ;-)

Stefan

.. .

Old March 29th 09, 09:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick, I remember you talking about much needed rain, but now it's the other
way round...
I would vote for 10 hours rain every week during daytime and always clear
sky during the nights :-)

Stefan

"Rick Johnson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ster.com...

Old March 29th 09, 09:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

The problem is it isn't doing us any good. The ground and lakes are
frozen. The water runs off the land into the lake but on top of the
ice. This pushes down on the ice and forces the water under the ice to
flow at high speed out the outlet into the river system causing the
rivers to flood. Hence all the problems west of me. None of it will be
around to fill the lakes once they thaw nor replenish the low water
table once the ground thaws. The timing is awful.

Rick

Old March 30th 09, 01:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Adriano

Thanks. Yes, Dione was completely invisible in single frames. Even Titan
was difficult to see, it was there in the good frames, a dim blur in
others and invisible in at least half. I missed the shadow transit but
there's one more coming up April 12/13 that I hope to capture.