Cleaning Solvents

Old August 19th 04, 08:21 AM
9484625

Why would anyone "experiment" like this on a MN71 ? I guess it's
self evident. Makes me cry.

Jb2269 wrote:

Started cleaning the corrector on my MN-71 and ran into some problems.
Using windex from a fresh spray bottle and cotton balls the debris was easily
removed but after multiple swabs with fresh solvent a spotty film appears as
the surface dries.
At this point I am baffled and start evaporating a bulk sample of Windex
down and to my surprise lots of spots formed and there was some low volatiility
gunk that took ~12 hours to evaporate! BTW during this testing I found a #14
welding glass was the best substrate to find residues, the deposit stands out
clearly.
Now two samples of 91% CVS IPA were evaporated down and they both left
residue but different levels. Almost perfect results were obtained with
distilled water, only a vanishingly small trace of a deposit.
On the basis of this data it seems a precleaning with Windex followed by
distilled water is the way to go. Does this seem reasonable?
Bill Bambrick
41 N, 73 W, 95 ASL

Old August 19th 04, 05:07 PM
Jb2269

Thanks for the comments. Precautions were taken to prevent he Windex gunk
from being contaminated with skin oils. Perhaps it was a bad day at the
manufacturing plant, I do not know.
The MN-71 corrector was spared all these experiments save the initial
Windex treatment, sorry for the misunderstanding. The results described were
obtained using a sacrificial #14 welding glass filter as the substrate.

Bill Bambrick
41 N, 73 W, 95 ASL