A Space & astronomy forum. SpaceBanter.com

Go Back   Home » SpaceBanter.com forum » Others » Misc
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Land of Mt. Hood and the Source of the East Wind

Old August 21st 16, 09:26 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Land of Mt. Hood and the Source of the East Wind

The temperature in my back yard hit 104F late yesterday afternoon! But it stayed below 78F in my ground floor apartment. Even with no AC. Today it is much cooler, cooler air having moved in from the Pacific. Currently as of 1:15 PM PDT here in Gresham it is only 75F. Still sunny though.

Watched the USA basketball team creaming the Serbs before I left. This year the NBC coverage has shown little boxing, wrestling, and a slew of other sports being played.

Double-A

Old August 21st 16, 10:28 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Notroll2016
external usenet poster

"Double-A" wrote in message

The temperature in my back yard hit 104F late yesterday afternoon! But it
stayed below 78F in my ground floor apartment. Even with no AC. Today it
is much cooler, cooler air having moved in from the Pacific. Currently as
of 1:15 PM PDT here in Gresham it is only 75F. Still sunny though.

Watched the USA basketball team creaming the Serbs before I left. This year
the NBC coverage has shown little boxing, wrestling, and a slew of other
sports being played.

Double-A
Hagar has the opposite problem. The air temperature is a balmy 76F, but as
it wafts over the sewage lagoon next to his trailer, the decaying turds and
feminine hygiene products increase the ambient air temperature to 104F.

Notroll2016

Old August 22nd 16, 07:54 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]
external usenet poster

Feels more like fall today. Sunny but only 65F as of 11:45 AM PDT. Wind out of the NW at 5 mph. Humidity 54%. Nothing but sunny skies in store for the coming week. Perhaps back up in the 90s later in the week.

Stopped by the redemption center with my beer cans and picked up a couple bucks on the way over here. Watched the Olympic marathon and closing ceremony last night. Nice to have television again!

Double-A

Old August 22nd 16, 11:47 PM posted to alt.astronomy
herbert glazier
external usenet poster

On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 11:21:59 AM UTC-7, Double-A wrote:
More sunshine here in Gresham. Currently 84F as of 11:15 AM PDT. Wind has died down and shifted back to being from the west. Should get near 100F again today. But this should be the last really hot day for a little while. They say it is really nice weather for the beach. The Oregon beaches are usually kind of chilly, but now the temp is just right, like a California beach. Not 100F like in Portland.

I heard on the news that Walmart makes more calls to the cops than any other store. I suppose they're too cheap to hire their own security people to handle minor matters.

Farmers market is going again outside, so I should be able to pick up a big head of lettuce to take home with me.

Double-A

Walmart patrols the parking lot(huge) Has its own indoor police,but turns shoplifters over to Anaheim police.Usually two cars pull up.Sometimes 4.Anaheim is so busy all 24 hours.Its right at Free way.People who run it are very nice,and those in its McDonalds. They are good friends.Some live in Fullerton and want me to win big. Hot Dry and people are leaving water for thw birds in Walmart parking lot is plastic kids swimming pools.I think of my poem. "Where Are the Birds" TreBert
Old August 23rd 16, 07:15 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 3:47:55 PM UTC-7, Herbert Glazier wrote:
More sunshine here in Gresham. Currently 84F as of 11:15 AM PDT. Wind has died down and shifted back to being from the west. Should get near 100F again today. But this should be the last really hot day for a little while. They say it is really nice weather for the beach. The Oregon beaches are usually kind of chilly, but now the temp is just right, like a California beach. Not 100F like in Portland.

I heard on the news that Walmart makes more calls to the cops than any other store. I suppose they're too cheap to hire their own security people to handle minor matters.

Farmers market is going again outside, so I should be able to pick up a big head of lettuce to take home with me.

Double-A

Walmart patrols the parking lot(huge) Has its own indoor police,but turns shoplifters over to Anaheim police.Usually two cars pull up.Sometimes 4.Anaheim is so busy all 24 hours.Its right at Free way.People who run it are very nice,and those in its McDonalds. They are good friends.Some live in Fullerton and want me to win big. Hot Dry and people are leaving water for thw birds in Walmart parking lot is plastic kids swimming pools.I think of my poem. "Where Are the Birds" TreBert

I ask the same question, where are the birds. I used to put out birdseed for them on my patio, but I haven't seen any come around in months, except for some crows that stay up in the trees. Still have a squirrel, but he rarely comes.

The story I saw about Walmart was about a store in Vancouver, Washington. Maybe they do things differently there in a small town.

As of 11:00 AM PDT it's only 66F here in Gresham. But could get as high as 84 later in the afternoon. Hotter weather is starting tomorrow. I spent part of the morning taking apart and lubricating with WD-40 a fan I brought back from my locker. It wouldn't turn, but I got it working fine now. Should be a help in upcoming hot weather, since I have no AC.

The American Red Cross blood sucking van is parked outside the library today, and a table inside looking to sign up volunteers (victims). I need my life's blood.

Double-A

Old August 23rd 16, 08:41 PM posted to alt.astronomy
herbert glazier
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 11:15:50 AM UTC-7, Double-A wrote:

Double-A

I ask the same question, where are the birds. I used to put out birdseed for them on my patio, but I haven't seen any come around in months, except for some crows that stay up in the trees. Still have a squirrel, but he rarely comes.

The story I saw about Walmart was about a store in Vancouver, Washington. Maybe they do things differently there in a small town.

As of 11:00 AM PDT it's only 66F here in Gresham. But could get as high as 84 later in the afternoon. Hotter weather is starting tomorrow. I spent part of the morning taking apart and lubricating with WD-40 a fan I brought back from my locker. It wouldn't turn, but I got it working fine now. Should be a help in upcoming hot weather, since I have no AC.

The American Red Cross blood sucking van is parked outside the library today, and a table inside looking to sign up volunteers (victims). I need my life's blood.

Double-A

AA Never forget that American Red Cross killed about 100,000 people (mostly children) Killed Auther Ash,and all those that paid $60 a pint for the blood they sold and they knew had HIV. Liz Taylor told this fact in a movie called "And the Band Played On." If not for Liz Taylor it would have been the biggest and worse cover up of news in history. It proved to me that American Red Cross motto is "LIFE IS CHEAP BUT A BUCK IS STILL A BUCK."TreBert
Old August 23rd 16, 08:54 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 12:41:21 PM UTC-7, Herbert Glazier wrote:

Double-A

Double-A

AA Never forget that American Red Cross killed about 100,000 people (mostly children) Killed Auther Ash,and all those that paid $60 a pint for the blood they sold and they knew had HIV. Liz Taylor told this fact in a movie called "And the Band Played On." If not for Liz Taylor it would have been the biggest and worse cover up of news in history. It proved to me that American Red Cross motto is "LIFE IS CHEAP BUT A BUCK IS STILL A BUCK."TreBert

If I want to give blood, I'll do it at the Portland Plasma Center where they'll pay me what it's worth.

Double-A

Old August 25th 16, 08:24 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 12:41:21 PM UTC-7, Herbert Glazier wrote:

Double-A

Double-A

Speaking of big news coverups, there was a shooting of 5 black students at Jackson State by National Guardsmen just after the Kent State shootings back in 1970. I heard about it at a meeting at Portland State to organize a protest because of the clubbing of students by Portland police. A guy came on the stage and told us of the Jackson Sate shooting. This was completely blacked out and covered up by all the major news networks. In fact I thought for years that the guy had just made the story up to incite the crowd. But some 20 or 30 years later, I heard on a respectable new show that the incident had indeed happened, and because of the racial tensions at the time, the news networks completely covered it up!

Back to another heat wave today here in Gresham. Currently 84F as of 12:30 PN PDT. Expected high today 95F. Tomorrow 96F. Bit some forecasters say triple digits could be reached again. But I've become acclimatized to the hot weather, and it stays pretty cool in my ground floor apartment. Now I have the electric fan working too, so that should help. And two stores sell beer right down the street!

Double-A

Old August 26th 16, 07:45 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]
external usenet poster

Sunny and now 83F as of 11:30 AM PDT here in beautiful downtown Gresham. Wind 2 mph out of the northeast. They're predicting it could set a record for the day of 96F. It was 97F in my backyard last night.

My next door neighbor lady gave me some more tomatoes out of her garden the other morning, and I ate one this morning as part of an egg sandwich!

My project of rebuilding my credit is going great guns! Yesterday I received a new MasterCard from Capital One! The credit line is not much now, but if I make five payments on time, they will increase it. No security deposit needed, and no annual fee! This morning I called and activated it. Also last night a UPS guy knocked on the door and delivered a record player I had ordered so I can play the collection of records I still have. I have not yet paid one penny for it. My credit is good!

Onward and upward!

Double-A

Old August 26th 16, 09:03 PM posted to alt.astronomy
herbert glazier
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 5:31:40 PM UTC-8, Double-A wrote:
Mt. Hood looms much larger were I am living now. Many things there are named after it: Mt. Hood Community College, The Hood Theater, and Hood Drive. Some things have been named after the east wind too, such as the East Wind Apartments. The east wind is the dominant wind there in the winter. In summer it is nice though, and stays a little cooler than downtown Portland.

Today I am back over in the Cedar Mills Library, since I don't have my Multnomah County library card yet. After lunch with Kim downtown, I came up here. It is currently 51F here with a slight sprinkling of rain starting. Should be dry again in a couple day.

A few days ago I walked over to the Mt. Hood Community College campus. I spent 2 years in school there. Much has changed, but old memories still remain.

"The years run too short and the days too fast
The things you lean on are the things that don't last
Well it's just now and then my line gets cast into these
Time passages
There's something back here that you left behind
Oh time passages
Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight

A girl comes towards you
You once used to know
You reach out your hand
But you're all alone, in these
Time passages
I know you're in there, you're just out of sight
Time passages
Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight" - Al Stewart

At first I felt a little lost, but then I came upon a spot I clearly remembered. It was where I had gone out there and watched a speech by then President Jimmy Carter in the late 70's. He was the first President I had seen in person! A helicopter brought him in, and Iranian students hiding their faces were demonstrating against the Shaw of Iran.

I finally found the lake that they made by damming up the local creek. I once drove a car across that dam! But if I were to try it now, I would run into a fence. I now must give up any hope of wetting a line in that trout stocked pond, as fishing is now limited to those under 17. Well, that's how I always thought it should be.

I found the basketball court with the dome shaped roof. It is a paraboloid shaped roof which gives an interesting echoic effect at its center. They have wisely covered much of the ceiling with acoustic tile.

There used to be tables and chairs on the east side where students could sit. But now it's all basketball floor. That's were I used to sit and talk with Greta and Susan in those pleasant times.

"The day is here,
The time has come
When I go see my darling love.
But why is she not here today
Where she has always been before?
I wait for you,
But you come not. - AA

I went to the corner of Kane Dr. and Stark St. to look for the stone mile post marker for mile 14 from Portland. It was there back in 1969 when I checked. This were set down every mile along Stark about 150 years ago. Stark led to the Stark St. Ferry, which was the only way to cross the Willamette River back then, before they built the bridges in Portland. The Community College has put up a sign at that corner and surrounded it with rocks and other landscaping. But no sign of the historic mile stone. You would think that the administrators of a college of all people would have some respect for history!

Double-A

AA you are back on your feet I knew you would.I can give you away to have a small business that will grow.You only need a cello phone for overhead. Its deals with clogged pipes.You compete with Rotor Rotter and they can not compete in anyway(You kill them.) Buy a bike,and you can tote all you need.. Once going get a cheap small car with signs on it. I did it in Fl. and was averaging $250 a week.and that was good since it needed little work and added to my SS. Email me if you feel you can do it. Its free and I'll help too TreBert