Spirit Landing Site

Old January 4th 04, 06:25 PM
Andrew Gray

Default Spirit Landing Site

(I note O'Keefe's comment was "We're back". I'm *sure* someone used that
as first-words-on-Mars in a novel sometime...)

So, Spirit (or, if you prefer, Daffy) is on the ground and looking
healthy. I note in the panoramic shot that there's one clear peak on the
left horizon, and a group of two or three smoother rises to the right
side. Plus, at a glance, maybe two or three other low rises between
them, but not immediately obvious.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...IA04980_br.jpg

Any word if a probable landing location has been figured out yet? I
assume it won't be so easy as it was for MPL, which IIRC had quite the
horizon, but...

--
-Andrew Gray

Old January 5th 04, 01:48 AM
Christopher M. Jones

Andrew Gray wrote in message ...
(I note O'Keefe's comment was "We're back". I'm *sure* someone used that
as first-words-on-Mars in a novel sometime...)

So, Spirit (or, if you prefer, Daffy)

MER-A is Marvin, MER-B is Daffy.
Old January 5th 04, 05:18 AM
Neil Gerace

"Andrew Gray" wrote in message
. ..

Any word if a probable landing location has been figured out yet? I
assume it won't be so easy as it was for MPL, which IIRC had quite the
horizon, but...

I take it GPS doesn't work there

Old January 5th 04, 12:22 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Neil Gerace" wrote in message
u...
I take it GPS doesn't work there

Shouldn't it work even better? After all, when Earth is above the horizon,
so are about two dozen GPS satellites
--
If you have had problems with Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC),
please contact shredder at bellsouth dot net. There may be a class-action

Old January 5th 04, 12:49 PM

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:22:46 +0000 (UTC), Anonymous Sender
wrote:

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 13:18:18 +0800, "Neil Gerace" wrote:

"Andrew Gray" wrote in message
k...

Any word if a probable landing location has been figured out yet? I
assume it wont be so easy as it was for MPL, which IIRC had quite the
horizon, but...

I take it GPS doesnt work there

On Mars, the Martian Defense Force -
Global Positioning System (GPS), is
used to re-position the entire Globe.

Hallerb

Like Archimedes sayid......"Give me a lever long enough and I will
move the Earth."
Old January 5th 04, 05:35 PM
Michael Gallagher

On 4 Jan 2004 18:25:13 GMT, Andrew Gray
wrote:

Any word if a probable landing location has been figured out yet? I
assume it won't be so easy as it was for MPL, which IIRC had quite the
horizon, but...

Last night on CNN they said that they're comparing the panorama with
descent images taken by the lander and orbiter images to work it out.
The aforementioned hills were referred to as a destination for a long
drive, and may be about a mile (~3 klicks) away from the landing site.

Old January 5th 04, 05:54 PM
Rick DeNatale

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 13:18:18 +0800, Neil Gerace wrote:

"Andrew Gray" wrote in message
. ..

Any word if a probable landing location has been figured out yet? I
assume it won't be so easy as it was for MPL, which IIRC had quite the
horizon, but...

I take it GPS doesn't work there

Sure it does. It probably confirms that the rover is on Mars, or at least
somewhere near by.