Voyager 1 is headed toward interstellar space

Old December 30th 11, 01:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default Voyager 1 is headed toward interstellar space

Traveling at 636 miles per minute, Voyager 1 is headed toward
interstellar space . Right now, the craft is in the outermost layer of
the heliosphere, the bubble of charged particles the Sun forms around
itself. The solar wind in that area is nil, but the 100-fold greater
intensity of high-energy electrons in elsewhere in the galaxy indicates
an approaching boundary. Voyager 1 is expected to cross that boundary
sometime in the next three years.

See:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...rstellar-space
Old December 30th 11, 09:04 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

How they know that for sure?
Is there still any communication with the craft?
Old December 30th 11, 09:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_67_]

"StarDust" wrote in message
| How they know that for sure?

By Newton's first law.
It was headed toward interstellar space yesterday,
It was headed toward interstellar space a year ago,
It was headed toward interstellar space a decade ago,
And it will be headed toward interstellar space in 2112, 2212, 2312, 3112,
3212, 4012,
some bozo with report it as if it was news and some other bozo will ask how
we
know that, as if it were going to suddenly turn around and come back again.

Old December 30th 11, 03:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

StarDust:
How they know that for sure?

Nothing is "for sure."

Is there still any communication with the craft?

Yes, both of them. I hate it when I allow myself to do someone else's
web searching for them, but I realize that some people just don't know
how to discover information on the web: http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old December 30th 11, 07:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 12/30/11 2:04 AM, StarDust wrote:
How they know that for sure?
Is there still any communication with the craft?

Reading the article answers your questions. :-o

Old December 30th 11, 07:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

Not wishing to be picky, but, everything in the universe is moving
towards interstellar space. Even at the subatomic level. It might be
more useful to define movement as the journey in coming from some
origin: Voyager 1 leaves the heliosphere carrying a single ticket to
the Universe. Only outside intervention or a gravitational slingshot
can send it back.

Last night I shone my torch after Voyager 1 to help light its way in
the darkness. The cold hearted photons will shoot past without a word.
This did not diminish Voyager's lonely journey as a token message in a
bottle. Cast overboard by a desperate race. Living completely without
hope on its sinking ark. Unable to evolve it is locked into eternal
selfishness, arrogance, drooling idiocy and escapism. It makes up
fairy stories to disguise the hideous acts it perpetrates on its own
members.

What possible collective defence could we offer if Voyager brought
back unexpected visitors? What possible plea could we make for being
allowed to continue as we are? Our only hope is to plead insanity and
humbly submit to the treatment. Assuming there is a miracle cure for
our raving madness.
Old December 30th 11, 08:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Scammed Public

On Dec 29, 7:14*pm, Sam Wormley wrote:
Traveling at 636 miles per minute, Voyager 1 is headed toward
interstellar space . Right now, the craft is in the outermost layer of
the heliosphere, the bubble of charged particles the Sun forms around
itself. The solar wind in that area is nil, but the 100-fold greater
intensity of high-energy electrons in elsewhere in the galaxy indicates
an approaching boundary. Voyager 1 is expected to cross that boundary
sometime in the next three years.

See:http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...8/voyager-1-sp....

An example of fine work by the scientists and engineers who created
it.