Lunar Occultations - not

Old October 28th 04, 06:03 PM
Martin Frey

Default Lunar Occultations - not

Ron Ballke of NASA has posted a calnedar for the next 12 months on
sci.astro, web version:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/calendar/

It includes no less than 10 occultations of Jupiter and 7 others.

Time to start worrying about the weather?

No - not one is visible from the UK.

2004
Nov 09 - Jupiter
Nov 10 - Venus
Nov 11 - Mars
Nov 14 - Mercury
Dec 07 - Jupiter
2005
Jan 04 - Jupiter
Jan 31 - Jupiter
Feb 27 - Jupiter
Mar 26 - Jupiter
Apr 09 - Venus
Apr 22 - Jupiter
May 19 - Jupiter
May 31 - Mars
Jun 16 - Jupiter
Jul 13 - Jupiter
Sep 07 - Venus
Oct 04 - Mercury
-----------------------------
Martin Frey
http//:www.hadastro.org.uk
N 51 01 52.2 E 0 47 21.1
-----------------------------
Old October 28th 04, 11:55 PM
Stu

No - not one is visible from the UK.

They very rarely are anyway :-/ I remember when I bought a scope a few years
ago (about 4) it was cloudy for weeks after. Do the clouds know when we want
to look up ?

Stuart

Old October 29th 04, 11:00 AM
Martin Frey

"Stu" wrote:

No - not one is visible from the UK.

They very rarely are anyway :-/

There were half a dozen or so Jupiter and Saturn occultations, visible
from UK, in 2001 and 2002.

Probability is that about half be in our hemisphere of sky and half of
those take place after sunset (though Pete Lawrence - and others - got
amazing pictures of the Venus occultation this year around midday.)

So we ought to get around 25%. I suppose the odds get better if
Jupiter and Saturn are above the ecliptic, but the main factor is the
Moon which, as usual, seems to have it in for us.

10 of Jupiter in 12 months and not one for us seems particularly
bloody minded.

-----------------------------
Martin Frey
http//:www.hadastro.org.uk
N 51 01 52.2 E 0 47 21.1
-----------------------------
Old October 31st 04, 10:40 AM
Grimble Gromble

"Stu" wrote in message
I remember when I bought a scope a few years ago (about 4) it was cloudy
for weeks after. Do the clouds know when we want to look up ?

Quantum theory would suggest there are no clouds until we observe them.
(Seems a bit silly as if they're not there, then we won't observe them
anyway).
Grim

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Misc 6 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Misc 10 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla UK Astronomy 11 July 25th 04 02:57 PM