Shuttle-disaster futures market

Old August 5th 03, 01:25 PM
Jorn Barger

Default Shuttle-disaster futures market

In the recent thread about John Poindexter's terrorism-
futures fiasco, I'm surprised nobody proposed the on-topic
sequel: space-shuttle disasters futures.

I played around with the online Foresight Exchange a few
years ago, and the most valuable lesson I learned was that
I'm a terrible forecaster. It was a little creepy betting,
eg, on how long Castro would live, but I think for anyone
whose job is forecasting, whether for the CIA or NASA, the
experiment is very educational.

Imagine that a private market was conducted by NASA in
which engineers bet on the sorts of problems likeliest to
occur in each Shuttle mission. Payoffs would be based on
who guessed right, and those who missed would be forced to
recalculate based on realworld feedback.

If this had been going on for past Shuttle missions, don't
you think the foam problem would have gotten much more
attention?

The item being bet on wouldn't necessarily have been "crew
lost on re-entry"-- just "leakage of plasma into wing"
would have been foreseeable based on the Atlantis precedent.

With regard to terrorism, though, I admit the equations are
rather different. If one wanted to do a cost-benefit
analysis from the terrorists' viewpoint, I'd wager that
phony anthrax-letters have a terrific payoff in terms of
tying government systems in knots, with almost no cost or
risk. Yet as far as I know nobody is bothering anymore.

Still, as an in-house educational tool, I think
Poindexter's plan makes great sense overall, because of the
concrete feedback it would enforce.
Old August 6th 03, 02:05 AM
Ian Woollard

Jorn Barger wrote:

The item being bet on wouldn't necessarily have been "crew
lost on re-entry"-- just "leakage of plasma into wing"
would have been foreseeable based on the Atlantis precedent.

The problem with these kinds of schemes is that there really are people
out there sick enough to deliberately cause problems for money, or
collude with people to cause these kinds of problems for money. Giving
people incentives to do 'the wrong thing' is really a non starter.

Old August 6th 03, 03:30 AM
sam grey

In article ,
(Jorn Barger) wrote:

Still, as an in-house educational tool, I think
Poindexter's plan makes great sense overall, because of the
concrete feedback it would enforce.

maybe on first blush. but think about it. terrorists could bet on when the
next terrorist attack would be, then make a lot of money when they made it
happen. not a good thing.

maybe by "in-house educational tool" you mean something that isn't actually
ever put in practice. like a think-tank thing. then I could agree a bit
better, sure.

however, if the stock market can't be predicted (according to Modern
Portfolio Theory, if one accepts that), I'm not so sure that things like
terrorist attacks can be either when couched within similar
stock-market-like models. even if it seemed successful, then there'd be all
the criticism that applies to stock market timing models, i.e., is it truly
predictive or just "chance" that some event "predicted" by the model
happened to coincide with some "random" event. so on and so forth. these
things are hashed and re-hashed a zillion times a day in various forums and
no one can agree.

in short, even from my layman's viewpoint, I can see a whole lot weird with
this little endeavor that Poindexter was trying to implement. a lot of
unanswered questions about use, accuracy, and such. sounds like less of a
deliberate, measured method and more of a half-ass pet scheme.
Old August 6th 03, 03:44 AM
Dale

err, I meant "misfortune", not "misforture". My eyes are going fast...

Dale
Old August 6th 03, 09:00 AM
Jorn Barger

sam grey wrote in message . net...
[...] terrorists could bet on when the
next terrorist attack would be, then make a lot of money when they made it
happen. not a good thing.

These are two basic design-issues: who can bet and how much
they can bet. My point is that it's a useful discipline for
professional forecasters, so non-professionals can be
excluded. The payoff only has to be enough to make the
players _care_ whether they win or lose-- even just getting
their name in the in-house newsletter might be enough.

I don't know how big Poindexter's payoffs were supposed to get,
nor who he was going to let in, but 99% of the brouhaha might
have been avoided by defining these very narrowly in advance.

however, if the stock market can't be predicted (according to Modern
Portfolio Theory, if one accepts that), I'm not so sure that things like
terrorist attacks can be either when couched within similar
stock-market-like models.

Certainly, terrorism is infinitely harder to guess than
Shuttle problems, but in either case, there _are_ professionals
whose job it is to make such predictions, and if they have an
efficient mechanism for sharing and testing their guesses,
they're bound to learn from it.

Regarding terrorism, it could at least centralise the
statistics on the sorts of attacks being made, so if there
were patterns emerging, many eyes would be trying to spot
them. This is obviously already supposed to be happening,
but failing badly at both the CIA and NASA.

Ian Woollard wrote:
The problem with these kinds of schemes is that there really are people
out there sick enough to deliberately cause problems for money, or
collude with people to cause these kinds of problems for money. Giving
people incentives to do 'the wrong thing' is really a non starter.

You are assuming worst-case values for rewards and for
who's included. If NASA or the CIA have employees who'd
cheat to win a gold star, they're in very serious trouble,
and any mechanism that brings this out will be useful for
that alone.

Dale wrote:
Just the idea of betting on other people's misforture is offensive.

Doing autopsies is pretty offensive, too, but we've
learned to recognise the advantages. If I were an
astronaut, I'd not only want such a 'market' to exist
for the engineers, I'd follow it closely and talk to
them about why they bet as they did.
Old August 6th 03, 09:52 AM
Jorn Barger

I wrote in message . com...
Imagine that a private market was conducted by NASA in
which engineers bet on the sorts of problems likeliest to
occur in each Shuttle mission. Payoffs would be based on
who guessed right, and those who missed would be forced to
recalculate based on realworld feedback.

Changing the labels on these concepts might make them more
palatable to superficial critics:

Instead of 'betting on' disasters, you could call it a
safety-engineering game, and give each player 100
'hours' to allocate to areas the engineer thinks need
more attention.

BEFORE launch, this feedback could be used to assign
last-minute checkups, and after the mission players
who foresaw problems that others missed could be
rewarded.

The principles are exactly the same, but by rewording
it, the hysterical kneejerk reactions are defused...
Old August 9th 03, 07:28 PM
Derek Lyons

(Allen Thomson) wrote:

(Jorn Barger) wrote

In the recent thread about John Poindexter's terrorism-
futures fiasco, I'm surprised nobody proposed the on-topic
sequel: space-shuttle disasters futures.

Speaking of which, this slightly related article just showed up:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2086811/

The "futures" here seem to be not actually on prospects for launch
success, but on the outcome of accident enquiries.

The article and the abstract make me a little uncomfortable. They
seem to have worked from a conclusion to the evidence.

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.

Risks Hallerb Space Shuttle 38 July 26th 03 01:57 AM
NASA Team Believed Foam Could Not Damage Space Shuttle Scott M. Kozel Space Shuttle 9 July 25th 03 08:33 AM
NYT: NASA Management Failings Are Linked to Shuttle Demise Recom Space Shuttle 11 July 14th 03 05:45 PM
Necessary change: Unmanned recovery option Daniel Nazar Space Shuttle 8 July 11th 03 05:51 AM
NASA: Gases Breached Wing of Shuttle Atlantis in 2000 Rusty Barton Space Shuttle 2 July 10th 03 01:27 AM