ASTRO: UGC 8496 and UGC 8502

Old June 21st 12, 04:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: UGC 8496 and UGC 8502

UGC 08496 is an interacting double galaxy in Canes Venatici 4 degrees
northeast of M3 about 230 million light-years distant. The southern
galaxy is compact S0 galaxy while the northern one isn't classed at NED
nor the UGC that I could find. It appears to be the remains of a spiral
while the southern looks like the stripped core of what used to be a
spiral. Once fully merged it will likely be an elliptical.

UGC 08492, the very golden round galaxy is classed by NED as S?. Looks
more like an elliptical. It is another hundred million light-years
beyond UGC 08496 so unrelated to that group.

The other "pair" of galaxies is VV 326/UGC 08502 at 0.47 million
light-years. To me it is a triple galaxy with VV326a being made up of
two galaxies. NED doesn't see it that way however. They indicate the
southern rather obvious spiral is the location of the galaxy. It is
quite red in color. Above it is a very blue knot which NED calls "Part
of VV 326a". When referencing the 2MASS survey entry for VV 326a they
state: "2MASS position is for the northern knot." That would indicate
the "knot" is undergoing strong star formation while the red color of
the lower "part" doesn't seem to have much as it didn't make the 2MASS
survey. To me they are two separate interacting galaxies. They may be
in the process of merging as their common redshift would indicate or
their motion is mostly transverse which can't be seen by redshift. Or
NED is right and they are part of one galaxy. I suppose the northern
"knot" could be a knot in the highly distorted northern arm. Seems a
super knot if it is. In fact it is far brighter than the Sloan image or
POSS plates would seem to show it. At first I thought it might be I
caught a super nova but I don't find any listed at that position at
David Bishop's super nova pages for 2010 or 2011. The image was taken
April 24, 2011.

The galaxy cluster MaxBCG J202.37294+31.32918, due west of UGC 08496 is
a puzzle. I've marked the positions of both with two lines for the one
entry for the Big Cluster Galaxy and the cluster's different position.
Note the name of the cluster gives its position in degrees epoch 2000.
That is exactly where the BCG is located rather than the position given
for the cluster, if you ignore its name. The galaxy's distance is by
spectroscopic measurement while the cluster's distance is photographic.
Trust the former to be more accurate. The cluster is also known as
ZwCl 1327.1+3134 and that too contains its location however only to the
nearest minute of arc in declination and 1.3 arc minutes in right
ascension. Too imprecise to help here. (.1 minutes of RA at 31 degrees
is about 1.3 arc minutes --multiply 0.1 by 15 x cos(31 degrees)).

14"LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10', STL=11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UGC8496L4X10RGB2X10R1.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	4148  Click image for larger version

Name:	UGC8496L4X10RGB2X10R1-ID.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	4149  Click image for larger version

Name:	UGC8496L4X10RGB2X10R1CROP150.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	4150
Old June 21st 12, 09:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

these two look as if they will merge "soon"...

Stefan

.com...

Old June 23rd 12, 07:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

The other "pair" of galaxies is VV 326/UGC 08502 at 0.47 million
light-years.

That should read: "The other 'pair' of galaxies is VV 326/UGC 08502 at
0.47 billion light-years."
Rick