Phoenix Lander from oribt!!!!!

Old May 27th 08, 08:16 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected][_1_]

Default Phoenix Lander from oribt!!!!!

Well its time for perjoratives, unbeleivable! You can see landing
plume impingement on the surface (looks like it came it from lower
left, and what looks like the heatsheild/impact area lower left)
Yesssir..........Doc http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/2...lor-browse.jpg
Old May 28th 08, 12:19 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

wrote:
Well its time for perjoratives, unbeleivable! You can see landing
plume impingement on the surface (looks like it came it from lower
left, and what looks like the heatsheild/impact area lower left)
Yesssir..........Doc
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/2...lor-browse.jpg

Did you see the crater shot yet?:
http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/images...9_9020_cut.jpg
(article he http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/phoenix-descent.php )
That is a mighty good-sized crater (it's around twenty kilometers beyond
where the lander came down at, and is around 10 km in diameter). Should
have run a MER into that thing's interior.
Has anyone collated the horizon glint photo taken from the surface with
the backshield or parachute position on the color photo you linked to?
Even minus the descent photography from Phoenix itself, it sure didn't
take long for them to locate it on the surface, did it?

Pat
Old May 28th 08, 12:31 AM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected][_1_]

wrote: Well its time for perjoratives,
www.nasa.gov/images/content/230826main_lander-topviewcolor-bro...
Did you see the crater shot yet?:http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/images/
2008/details/cut/PSP_008579_9020... (article hehttp://
hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/phoenix-descent.php) That is a mighty good-
sized crater (it's around twenty kilometers beyond where the lander
came down at, and is around 10 km in diameter). Should have run a MER
into that thing's interior. Has anyone collated the horizon glint
photo taken from the surface with the backshield or parachute
position on the color photo you linked to? Even minus the descent
photography from Phoenix itself, it sure didn't take long for them to
locate it on the surface, did it? PatThe crater shot is one of the
most incredible shots I've seen in the history of exploration.* Just,
just just..........* I'm not sure if they have ID'd the glint yet but
soon come, soon come.* What I found is interesting is that in the
parachute pic the chute still looks reefed for what I recall is
supersonic flight. (looks like a inverted teardrop, certinaly not
domelike open condition)* You can see this better in the higher
contrast version of the same shot.* If thats the case they caught the
lander in the reefed condtion in a already small time window.* What do
you think the surface disturbance of the area around the lander can
tell us about landing and surface* makeup?.....................
WOOOOOHOOOOO...................Doc
Old May 28th 08, 01:44 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

wrote:
just just.......... I'm not sure if they have ID'd the glint yet but
soon come, soon come.

This looks a _lot_ like the backshield:
http://fawkes4.lpl.arizona.edu/images.php?gID=509&cID=8
I wonder if that ridge in the distance is the rim of the crater in the
descent photo?
This is the first Mars terrain from any of the five landers that looks
very markedly different from the rest; this area may not be very
exciting to look at, but a rover would have a very easy time
transversing this terrain, as you could tell it to drive quite a
distance in any direction you wanted without worrying about it running
into (or falling off of) anything.
I think the rovers have spoiled me; I want Phoenix to go up the rim of
that big crater and peek into it. :-)

Pat
Old May 28th 08, 12:40 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected][_1_]

On May 27, 8:44*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
wrote: just just.......... *I'm not sure
if they have ID'd the glint yet but soon come, soon come. This
looks a _lot_ like the backshield:http://fawkes4.lpl.arizona.edu/
images.php?gID=509&cID=8 I wonder if that ridge in the distance is
the rim of the crater in the descent photo? This is the first Mars
terrain from any of the five landers that looks very markedly
different from the rest; this area may not be very exciting to look
at, but a rover would have a very easy time transversing this
terrain, as you could tell it to drive quite a distance in any
direction you wanted without worrying about it running into (or
falling off of) anything. I think the rovers have spoiled me; I want
Phoenix to go up the rim of that big crater and peek into it. :-)
PatI agree it's going to take a while to get excited by a trench.*
That lack of scenery change will bore a lot of folks!* The microscope
should be somewhat of a replacement.* I wonder if the tundra surface
is like ours here on earth.* It does look like the landing pads went
in some, and that crustal fracturing around the pad may inidicate that
it may not be all that supportive.* My coin is with the distant mtns
being the crater rim that framed the* pic of Phoenix coming
in...........Doc
Old May 29th 08, 02:00 AM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news:Ma6dnZibqviSNqHVnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@northdakotat elephone...
I think the rovers have spoiled me; I want Phoenix to go up the rim of
that big crater and peek into it. :-)

Well, if they hadn't released the pressurant, at the end of 90 days they
coulda cranked those nozzles up and shifted the thing- oh, at least a foot.

Old May 30th 08, 05:38 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Scott Hedrick" wrote in message

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news:Ma6dnZibqviSNqHVnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@northdakotat elephone...
I think the rovers have spoiled me; I want Phoenix to go up the rim of
that big crater and peek into it. :-)

Well, if they hadn't released the pressurant, at the end of 90 days they
coulda cranked those nozzles up and shifted the thing- oh, at least a
foot.

You sure that the propellant will stay liquid in this case?

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

Old May 30th 08, 08:42 PM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

"Scott Hedrick" wrote in message

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news:Ma6dnZibqviSNqHVnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@northdakotat elephone...
I think the rovers have spoiled me; I want Phoenix to go up the rim of
that big crater and peek into it. :-)

Well, if they hadn't released the pressurant, at the end of 90 days they
coulda cranked those nozzles up and shifted the thing- oh, at least a
foot.

You sure that the propellant will stay liquid in this case?

Frequent "clearing the nozzles" would help.

Old May 31st 08, 11:50 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Fri, 30 May 2008 15:42:08 -0400, "Scott Hedrick"
wrote:

Frequent "clearing the nozzles" would help.

...."Wetting" is the term you're looking for. This wound up being a
last-minute issue that, IIRC, got John Aaron in a bit of hot water
with George Low prior to Apollo 8, when it was discovered that there
could be problems if you tried to wet both of the redundant feed lines
for the SPS at the same time under certain conditions. The trick was
to "wet" them separately, and while it could be done not only had the
procedures not been tested in the sims, there weren't any mission
rules for it.

OM
--
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [