Phoenix Lands on Mars this Sunday!!!

Old May 22nd 08, 08:12 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Robert Maas, http://tinyurl.com/uh3t

Default Phoenix Lands on Mars this Sunday!!!

From: M
See my article he
http://sciencedude.freedomblogging.c...nding-preview/

Unlike the recent Mars Rovers, the Phoenix lander is
designed to stay in place at it's landing site.
Please fix your Web page to have the correct spelling of the word "its".

By the way, I make two predictions of what will be seen by the lander:

49% chance it'll see the ground approaching very very fast, just
like the Ranger views of the surface of the Moon. (That final
partial-frame was amazing at the time!! How many others in this
newsgroup watched it live on TV as I did? Were all of you as
impressed as I was?) Then MRO will see a huge cloud of debris.

49% chance it'll see the ground approaching at a reasonable rate,
then after landing it'll see ice and sand the first day, more ice
and sand the second day, and even more ice and sand the third day.
Starting the fourth day it'll start to see the same ice and sand it
already saw, the first panorama mosaic having been completed now.

The remaining 2% are reserved for seeing something upredictable.
Old May 22nd 08, 02:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Neil Gerace[_2_]

On May 21, 7:31 am, "jonathan" wrote:

2) Organic material?

Yes, specifically methandione - CO2 :-)
Old May 22nd 08, 06:13 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Robert Maas, http://tinyurl.com/uh3t wrote:
The remaining 2% are reserved for seeing something upredictable.

http://www.horror-punk.net/images/angryredplanet4.jpg

Pat
Old May 23rd 08, 02:14 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"OM" wrote in message
...Part of me is expecting this as well. JPL's been way too cocky
about claiming their success at fixing what killed MPL for me to be
comfortable about the use of a descent engine system over
tried-and-proven airbags. If Phoenix makes an ash out of itself, you
can bet your ass that they'll go back to airbags and stick with them
for the forseeable future.

I've heard aerospace engineers refer to JPL as Just Plain Lucky when one of
their missions actually succeeds. ;-)

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

Old May 24th 08, 12:20 AM posted to sci.space.history
Eric Chomko[_2_]

On May 20, 11:34*pm, OM wrote:
On Wed, 21 May 2008 00:49:50 GMT, Brian Thorn

wrote:
Wreckage. I'm betting the next we hear of it is wreckage spotted by
MRO sometime next month.

...Part of me is expecting this as well. JPL's been way too cocky
about claiming their success at fixing what killed MPL for me to be
comfortable about the use of a descent engine system over
tried-and-proven airbags. If Phoenix makes an ash out of itself, you
can bet your ass that they'll go back to airbags and stick with them
for the forseeable future.

Time will tell. The Vikings were landers like Phoenix so it has worked
before.

Oops, sorry. Way to pessimistic lately.

...Well, that's what you get for responding to a troll like
"Jonathan", Brian. Let that be a lesson to you :-P

Anyone OM doesn't like is a troll...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * OM
--
* *]=====================================[
* *] * OMBlog -http://www.io.com/~o_m/omworld* [

Old May 24th 08, 05:53 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Fri, 23 May 2008 09:14:43 -0400, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:

"OM" wrote in message
.. .
...Part of me is expecting this as well. JPL's been way too cocky
about claiming their success at fixing what killed MPL for me to be
comfortable about the use of a descent engine system over
tried-and-proven airbags. If Phoenix makes an ash out of itself, you
can bet your ass that they'll go back to airbags and stick with them
for the forseeable future.

I've heard aerospace engineers refer to JPL as Just Plain Lucky when one of
their missions actually succeeds. ;-)

....I've been doing a bit more researching into what was done to make
Phoenix safer than MPL (*), and to be honest I've gotten a bit more
positive about the chances of a safe landing. What worries me more are
two possibilities: 1) that the landing retros will contaminate the
landing site and frack up the data from the soil samples, and/or 2)
Pat's comments about the retros heating up the soil and the ice
underneath does a Mentos-in-Coke impression and Phoenix becomes the
first lander to make an ascent from the Martian surface.

Either way, we've got about 36 hours to go. Keep your fingers crossed
even if it fracks with your typing...!

(*) Mars Pancake Landing
OM
--
]=====================================[
Old May 24th 08, 03:50 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Craig Fink

jonathan wrote:

Phoenix Home
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ph...ain/index.html

News Release
http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/news...20080516a.html

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/index.php

Interesting landing animation....
http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/video...etric_high.mov

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/phases05.php
....Thrusters are started when the lander is 570 m (1900 feet) above the
surface. The navigation system is capable of detecting and avoiding hazards
on the surface of Mars...

Looks like it can maneuver on the way down.

Old May 24th 08, 08:28 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

wrote:
Wreckage. I'm betting the next we hear of it is wreckage spotted by
MRO sometime next month.

...Part of me is expecting this as well. JPL's been way too cocky
about claiming their success at fixing what killed MPL for me to be
comfortable about the use of a descent engine system over
tried-and-proven airbags. If Phoenix makes an ash out of itself, you
can bet your ass that they'll go back to airbags and stick with them
for the forseeable future.

Actually, I think it's been the other way around; the JPL and NASA
folk in general have been far too quiet for a number of years on what
was being done to correct the possible issues that killed MPL as well
as identify anything else.

Lately they've been fairly careful to say that this landing will be
very challenging and difficult, and some have said outright that they
are worried they missed something. This is the same thing we saw for
the MER, Odyssey, and MO teams, both of whom have been very successful
in their missions so far, and are looking forward to extending them
(or extending them further).
-Mike
Old May 25th 08, 09:40 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jochem Huhmann

OM writes:

...I've been doing a bit more researching into what was done to make
Phoenix safer than MPL (*), and to be honest I've gotten a bit more
positive about the chances of a safe landing. What worries me more are
two possibilities: 1) that the landing retros will contaminate the
landing site and frack up the data from the soil samples, and/or 2)
Pat's comments about the retros heating up the soil and the ice
underneath does a Mentos-in-Coke impression and Phoenix becomes the
first lander to make an ascent from the Martian surface.

As far as I know the landing retros are designed to raise the
temperature of the top soil not more than 1 degree (C or F, I don't
know). This looks somewhat harmless to me...

Jochem

--
"A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away."
Old May 26th 08, 04:49 AM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

"Jochem Huhmann" wrote in message

As far as I know the landing retros are designed to raise the
temperature of the top soil not more than 1 degree (C or F, I don't
know). This looks somewhat harmless to me...

Still, this would have been a good time to try the skycrane concept.