Phoenix Lander from oribt!!!!!

Old May 31st 08, 11:33 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

Default Phoenix Lander from oribt!!!!!

"Scott Hedrick" wrote in message

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

"Scott Hedrick" wrote in message

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news:Ma6dnZibqviSNqHVnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@northdakotat elephone...
I think the rovers have spoiled me; I want Phoenix to go up the rim of
that big crater and peek into it. :-)

Well, if they hadn't released the pressurant, at the end of 90 days they
coulda cranked those nozzles up and shifted the thing- oh, at least a
foot.

You sure that the propellant will stay liquid in this case?

Frequent "clearing the nozzles" would help.

Actually, I'm talking about the propellant in the tanks. I'm not sure the
craft was designed to keep the tanks warm enough during the landing phase of
the flight to keep the propellant from freezing solid. You'd have to keep
the heaters powered and I'm sure power is at a premium during the landing
phase.

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

Old June 1st 08, 04:50 AM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message
Frequent "clearing the nozzles" would help.

Actually, I'm talking about the propellant in the tanks. I'm not sure the
craft was designed to keep the tanks warm enough during the landing phase
of the flight to keep the propellant from freezing solid.

If you keep bouncing the lander, the propellant will move enough to keep
from freezing.

Hard to get any science done that way, though.