NASA?s Low-Density Supersonic Decelerator Project preparing for second test

Old March 29th 15, 04:45 PM posted to sci.space.tech
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default NASA?s Low-Density Supersonic Decelerator Project preparing for second test

NASA?s Low-Density Supersonic Decelerator Project (LDSD ) is preparing
to launch its second saucer-shaped, rocket powered test vehicle into
near-space from the Navy?s Pacific Missile Range Facility on Kauai,
Hawaii, in June.

http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/mi.../nasas-flying-
saucer-prepares-for-another-spin/

I think this qualifies as new tech. I'm quite happy to see NASA
investing in this technology. Returning large payloads to earth in a
cost effective way would benefit ISS an has possible applications to
future commercial and exploration missions.

Jeff

Old March 29th 15, 10:55 PM posted to sci.space.tech
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

NASA?s Low-Density Supersonic Decelerator Project (LDSD ) is preparing
to launch its second saucer-shaped, rocket powered test vehicle into
near-space from the Navy?s Pacific Missile Range Facility on Kauai,
Hawaii, in June.

http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/mi.../nasas-flying-
saucer-prepares-for-another-spin/

I think this qualifies as new tech. I'm quite happy to see NASA
investing in this technology. Returning large payloads to earth in a
cost effective way would benefit ISS an has possible applications to
future commercial and exploration missions.

I agree. This strikes me as "basic research" that NASA should continue to
help with.

More importantly than returning stuff to Earth, I think this will continue
our efforts of landing large payloads on Mars.

Landing anything capable of supporting a crew is by necessity going to have
to be quite large and current tech just isn't really up to the job.

Old March 30th 15, 03:19 AM posted to sci.space.tech
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/mi.../nasas-flying-
saucer-prepares-for-another-spin/

I agree. This strikes me as "basic research" that NASA should continue to
help with.

More importantly than returning stuff to Earth, I think this will continue
our efforts of landing large payloads on Mars.

Landing anything capable of supporting a crew is by necessity going to have
to be quite large and current tech just isn't really up to the job.

True. This is an enabling technology for landing anything bigger than
current probes which are still using Viking style reentry shells.
Without technology like this, a manned landing on Mars would be
extremely expensive in terms of propulsive delta-V.

Jeff