Nowak's future is clear...

Old February 8th 07, 11:21 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Thorn

Default Nowak's future is clear...

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 12:24:00 -0600, OM
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 17:57:38 GMT, Brian Thorn
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 13:02:15 GMT, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

But at the end of the day NASA is just her employer and has no right to
dismiss her.

Umm, they have every right to dismiss here. And if she is convicted I can
100% guarantee they will.

That all depends on if she is found mentally competent. There is good
reason to believe she has a serious psychological disorder, and one
that only recently manifested itself. NASA and the U.S. Navy both have
a duty to help her.

...Ok, here's where firings get difficult. If NASA was a state agency,
then certain state laws would apply that would either make it very
easy to fire her - the "At Will" laws - or defer to Federal guidelines
which means it's a real pain in the ass to fire her,

Very difficult, because NASA is not officially her employer, the Navy
of the United States of America is. The military does like to jettison
the riff-raff, less-than-honorable discharge, etc., as soon as
practical, but if there is a medical or psychological problem that
clearly wasn't there before joining the service, or wasn't nearly as
pronounced (so far, not one friend, neighbor, or associate has said
"oh yeah, we always knew there was something wrong with her...") then
they'll at least try to help her before giving her the heave-ho.

I think the Courts will remand her into the custody of the Navy, and
the Navy and NASA together will figure out what to do with her.

Brian
Old February 8th 07, 11:24 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Nowak's future is clear........the bitch has no future.

Old February 8th 07, 11:43 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_4_]

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 23:21:02 GMT, Brian Thorn
wrote:

I think the Courts will remand her into the custody of the Navy, and
the Navy and NASA together will figure out what to do with her.

"Admiral, I'm sorry to say, but none of our Shuttles have gangplanks
she can walk off of."

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old February 9th 07, 11:02 AM posted to sci.space.history
Neil Rieck

No one likes to play the "mental illness" card because we're all worried
that some people will premeditatedly do really outrageous things and then
announce that excuse. Having said that, there have to be times when the
brain is affected by things like disease, poor nutrition, lack of rest, etc
just like any other organ in the body.

This woman drove more than 12 hours from Houston to Orlando and at some time
during that trip, logic should have kicked in warning her about potential
losses to her career and reputation. Since this did not happen, and she does
not appear to be the criminal type from my vantage point 2000 miles away, I
can only assume she was mentally ill. But this is something a psychiatrist
will have to decide.

On a related note, a few years back I read a book titled "EQ: Emotional
Quotient" where the author claimed that while our society valued people with
high IQs that this came with a price of lower EQs. The book was filled with
examples of high IQs people making stupid mistakes and paying the price for
it. (can you imagine the taunting her 15 year old son is getting at school?)

This woman's career as an astronaut is probably over but she does not
deserve to lose her job any more than someone else who expresses an illness.

"There, but for the grace of God, go I"

Neil Rieck
Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
Ontario, Canada.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/

Old February 9th 07, 01:58 PM posted to sci.space.history
mike flugennock

wrote:

I think the Courts will remand her into the custody of the Navy, and
the Navy and NASA together will figure out what to do with her.

"Admiral, I'm sorry to say, but none of our Shuttles have gangplanks
she can walk off of."

Well-lll...they _could_ make her "walk the Canadarm".

Besides, zero-g kind of ruins the whole impact of walking the plank.

--

..

"Though I could not caution all, I yet may warn a few:
Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools!"

--grateful dead.
Mike Flugennock, flugennock at sinkers dot org
"Mikey'zine": dubya dubya dubya dot sinkers dot org
Old February 9th 07, 03:19 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Neil Rieck" wrote in message
No one likes to play the "mental illness" card because we're all worried
that some people will premeditatedly do really outrageous things and then
announce that excuse. Having said that, there have to be times when the
brain is affected by things like disease, poor nutrition, lack of rest,
etc just like any other organ in the body.

Chemical imbalance caused by bad genes.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Old February 9th 07, 08:29 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Jeff Findley wrote:

Chemical imbalance caused by bad genes.

Were Anna-Nicole's genes bad?
Just guess. ;-)

Pat

Old February 9th 07, 08:42 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_4_]

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 14:29:47 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Were Anna-Nicole's genes bad?

....I dunno. Could you fit into them?

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old February 9th 07, 09:20 PM posted to sci.space.history
robert casey

Were Anna-Nicole's genes bad?
Just guess. ;-)

Rips and tears are a fashion feature nowadays...
Old February 9th 07, 11:32 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Thorn

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 14:29:47 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Were Anna-Nicole's genes bad?
Just guess. ;-)

Her sister was on Larry King before Anna-Nicole's body had even gone
into rigor. Who does that? Who in the sane world goes on TV to talk
about a sister who just died HOURS AGO?

I think that's one gene pool the world is best advised to stay out of.

Brian

Nowak's future is clear... Esaz Space Shuttle 64 February 25th 07 04:45 AM
Clear Sky! Starlord Amateur Astronomy 2 February 3rd 06 09:30 PM
clear sky map [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 3 May 18th 05 06:18 PM
Clear Sky! starlord Amateur Astronomy 0 January 15th 05 01:01 AM
Should the sky clear ..... Lucy UK Astronomy 9 October 7th 04 11:56 PM