Purchasing a dobsonian mount (on its own)

Old September 12th 06, 11:40 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Gareth Williams

Default Purchasing a dobsonian mount (on its own)

Hello,

I'd like to convert my equatorial Newt into a Dobsonian and wondered
if there's anywhere I can buy a pre-built Dobsonian mount capable of
supporting a 10" OTA? The old equatorial mount is fine, but not very
portable or easy to set up once moved.

The only Dobsonian mounts I've found by trawling the Web invariably seem
to come with the telescope attached, but one of those I already have!

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

--
Regards, Gareth H Williams

"Tradition ist die Weitergabe des Feuers und nicht die Anbetung der Asche"
(Tradition is handing down the fire, not praying to the ashes)

Gustav Mahler

Old September 13th 06, 12:13 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Tim Duke[_1_]

I'd like to convert my equatorial Newt into a Dobsonian and wondered
if there's anywhere I can buy a pre-built Dobsonian mount capable of
supporting a 10" OTA? The old equatorial mount is fine, but not very
portable or easy to set up once moved.

The only Dobsonian mounts I've found by trawling the Web invariably seem
to come with the telescope attached, but one of those I already have!

Hi Gareth,

I seem to remember a club member buying a dobsonian base unit from a german
manufacturer for his 12" Orion newt. Don't think it was amazingly expensive
either. Will try to get in touch with him and find out for you (unless he
sees this post first!).

All the best,

Tim Duke

Castle Point Astronomy Club
www.cpac.org.uk

Old September 13th 06, 10:21 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Dave Smith

Hi Gareth

I'm considering the same with my 12" OTA. Orion Optics sell dobsoian mounts
separately but they are not cheap. I am waiting until I see one in the flesh
before buying. See http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/acatalog/Dobsonians.html
towards the bottom of the page.

--
Dave Smith
http://www.graviton.demon.co.uk
news

Old September 13th 06, 12:41 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Beta Persei

Hi.
Here is a used Dobson mount for a 10" OTA.
http://www.astrosell.it/mercatino_usato_astronomia_vendo/18101/Montatura_dobson_Geoptik_per_Tele_da_25cm_.html
Don't know if still available, there is also a version with Meade Magellan.
http://www.astrosell.it/mercatino_us..._Magellan.html

Clear skies,
--
---
Beta Persei

remove "_nospam" to reply

Old September 13th 06, 07:23 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Tim Duke[_1_]

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Hi Gareth

I'm considering the same with my 12" OTA. Orion Optics sell dobsoian
mounts separately but they are not cheap. I am waiting until I see one in
the flesh before buying. See
http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/acatalog/Dobsonians.html towards the bottom
of the page.

Sorry Dave,

Thought you had bought one already. I seem to recall you finding a cheaper
alternative in Germany?

Tim

Dobsonian mount - azimuth bearing question Starboard Amateur Astronomy 42 January 17th 06 10:22 AM
The power of 3 G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 40 November 18th 05 01:27 AM
SLIGHT WOBBLE ON ORION XT8 DOBSONIAN MOUNT? Jan Drozd Amateur Astronomy 5 November 1st 04 05:15 PM
Dobsonian mount for a small scope? donutbandit Amateur Astronomy 15 January 29th 04 03:26 AM
Dobsonian mount Mark Miller Amateur Astronomy 3 November 14th 03 01:22 PM