Help me please.

Old August 13th 05, 10:28 PM
gavin

Default Help me please.

Looking for advice on which Telescope to buy.
I was living in London for 8 years and have now moved upto Northumberland,
and as it's actually dark at night,
I thought I'd buy myself a Telescope.
Astronomy is always something I've had a slight interest in, but have never
took up except when I was about 13
and had a little telescope that I could not even use, I look through the
view finder at the moon, then through the telescope
eyepiece and there would be nothing there.
SO I guess you can say I'm a total beginner.

I'm wanting something that will do for a beginner and a intermediate level
of use.

I'm under the impression that Meade are pretty good, am I right in thinking
that?

I was toying with the idea of the Meade DS-2114AT 114mm Reflector, any good?
What will I be able to see with that?

I'm looking to spend no more that£800 but would if possible like to keep it
around the £600.

Again, what will I be able to view with Telescopes in this price range?

Any suggestion on telescope makes and using the things are most welcome
drop me a line at gavin_hunt_@excite dotcom or respond to this email.

Thank you
Gavin

Old August 13th 05, 10:46 PM
Twittering One

~ * ~
~ * ~ A Sign, A Boarded Shingle
Hung Out TO Dry ~ * ~

! * ! The Faithful Meade Lens
Reminder ~ !
~ * Polish Your
Telescope
Lens,
Play Couperin or Telemann &
Don't Forget ...

"One must be serious
About someone, if one wants enduring
Sensuous amusement
And true sacred amour in life."
~ Oscar Whining Childe

"... and don't forget
To stock the Armoire with sparkling
Spirits,
And check back later ~ !"
~ Gertrude Stole Alice

~ * ~ ~ ~
Yes ~
A Morning Wood Roadside Semi ~ OTIC
* Dogging Arts * Fogging Minds * It's a Star *
~ * ~
*
~ * ~
Blog, I'll warrant ye, or dog? Who knows. Pass the grog!
But if ye see me lost pup, please bring that scurvy dog home!
I got Leon a brand-new bone, with a chest full a' booty.
_________________
http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo

Old August 13th 05, 11:17 PM
Starlord

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net

Old August 14th 05, 11:09 PM
Llanzlan Klazmon

"gavin" wrote in
:

Looking for advice on which Telescope to buy.
I was living in London for 8 years and have now moved upto
Northumberland, and as it's actually dark at night,
I thought I'd buy myself a Telescope.
Astronomy is always something I've had a slight interest in, but

have
never took up except when I was about 13
and had a little telescope that I could not even use, I look through

the
view finder at the moon, then through the telescope
eyepiece and there would be nothing there.
SO I guess you can say I'm a total beginner.

I'm wanting something that will do for a beginner and a intermediate
level of use.

I'm under the impression that Meade are pretty good, am I right in
thinking that?

Some of their stuff is good but they also make pretty ordinary dept
store type stuff. The LX200 GPS range is quite popular but is way over
the price range you are talking about.

I was toying with the idea of the Meade DS-2114AT 114mm Reflector,

any
good? What will I be able to see with that?

114mm is a small aperture. Ok for observing bright stuff like the moon
and planets and reasonably portable. IMO you would be much better off
with a Chinese Dob of at least 200mm aperture.

I'm looking to spend no more that£800 but would if possible like to

keep
it around the £600.

Again, what will I be able to view with Telescopes in this price

range?

The biggest bang for buck is a Newt on a Dobsonian style mount. The
Chinese dob's from Guang Sheng Optical (Taiwan) and Synta (PRC) are
generally good quality. Your budget would buy a 250mm (10 inch) one of
these at least. With the Dobs you are paying for optics and light
grasp - no electronic gee gaws here. The issue then becomes one of
transport.

Klazmon.