Buying a new telescope...suggestions welcome

Old July 10th 05, 02:17 AM
Zarkovic

Default Buying a new telescope...suggestions welcome

Hello there fellow astronomers
I am new to this newsgroup, but I have been a member of alt.astronomy for a
while now.
I am here thanks to Starlord, one of your frequent posters here.
Anyhow, I know that pretty much every week someone needs some help with
buying a telescope and now it's me.
Anyhow, I live in Calgary AB and at a relativly dark place, not that many
lights around my house, since a provincial park is 20 meters away from it
and it spands for a few kms. I might consider taking my future scope out to
the park where it's very dark or observe from my balcony.

I plan to spend up to $600 CND or $500 US dollars, pretty much a maximum.
I know that a lot of people recomment celestorn on atl.astronomy and meade
sometimes too, so I need a good trusted brand.
I want something up to a meter high or so, but not too high or heavy.
Preferably something with the 'go to' function or something like that, since
I don't know where many of the interesting objects are located.
I do own lots of astronomical software, such as Starry Nights and so forth.
However, I want something powerful to actually see any of those cool
objects, such as nebula, most of the solar planets, and so forth, but I hope
that this isn't too ambitious.
I think that's all, please help many of you as possible and I don't think
that it matters whether it's on a tripod, or some small base, but most
likely a reflector.
Also, I googled some guides on buying telescopes, but if anyone can
contribue any other factors, such as what I should look for mostly or
experiances please do so.

So far, I like Celestorn NexStar 114 and 130, but budet allows me 114
comfortably with the stand. Should I squeeze a few more bucks and get
perhaphs 130 if it is that much better? Also, I saw some Orion telescopes,
but I will look into that more this weekend, and I didn't see any of them
with the go to function. I can't seem to find any Meade telescope from
200-500 USD, only the very basic one LX70 or something like that for around
300 USD.

Please help and thank you so much.

Old July 10th 05, 02:20 AM
Mean Mr Mustard

I would buy a Questar 3.5

Old July 10th 05, 02:55 AM
Doink

There's a good article with links on:

www.etnaastros.com look at the member articles

Doink

Old July 10th 05, 03:18 AM
Jon Kickerston

"Zarkovic" wrote in message
[...]

I started with a Dobsonian. I used it for nearly 10 years before moving on
to an SCT. The Dob I had was a 6" size and I later added digital setting
circles which helped greatly. You may find your ideal beginners scope is a
Dob. Check them out at Orion.

Regards,
JK

Old July 10th 05, 03:19 AM
Duke

Hi, Probably the best starter scope in your budget is a 4.5" Newtonian
reflector from Meade or Celestron or a 5" Newtonian reflector from
Celestron.
These all have GOTO and tracking functions which are fine for viewing. They
come with tripods and everything you need to get started.
These are all available from Kahn Scope center in Toronto Canada
800-580-7160. Their prices in Canadian Dollars are $423 for the Meade
DS-2114ATS or $482 for the Celestron NexStar114SLT or $515 for the NexStar
130SLT
DO NOT get the firstscope model which has no goto or tracking.
You can also get these from Anacortes in Anacortes, WA 888-996-3233.
Someone suggested you get a Questar which costs several thousand dollars.
Good Luck
George

Old July 10th 05, 07:19 AM
Starlord

A good star map, and the software too, plus while not a goto, if you check
out the FAQ listed below, you'll see Stargazer Steve listed and he's got
dob's up to 8 inch now and they are easy to use and can see lots of good
things. I've got one of his 4.25inch Dobs and can view many things with it.
Ofcouse I have my own dob too, but Steve is right there in Canada too.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy-Net Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net

Old July 10th 05, 10:15 AM
Zarkovic

Ok. So far I am looking at
The NexStar 130 SLT Specifications:

a.. 130mm (5.1") diameter Newtonian Reflector
b.. 650mm Focal Length
c.. f/5 Focal Ratio
d.. Motorized Altazimuth Mount
e.. 4,000+ object database
f.. Weight: 18 lb
g.. Sky Align -go to
h.. Software
i.. Tripod
j.. Price: 439 USD + shipping
k.. Made in US
To be honest, I am not feeling the 5.1" diameter.
vs.

The SkyQuest XT6 Specifications:

a.. Dobsonian 6" (150mm) reflector
b.. 150mm parabolic mirror, which pulls down 80% more light than a 4.5"
mirror
c.. IntelliScope Controller (not included $100) with 14000+ objects stored
d.. Made in US
e.. Focal length, F ratio: 1200mm, f/8.0
f.. Price: 359 USD + shipping
g.. Weight: 34 lbs
h.. Free starry night software
Will make my budget, with shipping to Canada to just around 500USD.
and maybe still...

The SkyQuest XT8 Specifications:

a.. Dobsonian 8" (203mm) reflector, 56% greater area compared to Dobsinian
6"
b.. IntelliScope Controller (not included $100) with 14000+ objects stored
c.. Made in US
d.. Eyepieces: Sirius Plössl 25.0mm (48x), 10.0mm (120x)
e.. convenient carrying handle on the base makes transporting the scope
easy
f.. Price $479 US + shipping
g.. Weight: 41 lbs
h.. Focal length, F ratio: 1200mm, f/5.9
i.. Free Starry night software
Wish that the go to function was free, would definetly get this one, but
it's not. Could get it used for 375 USD and some accesories with it and
perhaps just buy the IntelliScope controller for an extra 100 bucks brand
new.

What do you guys think, comments, suggestions or other recomendations always
welcome.

Old July 10th 05, 12:08 PM
AM

"Zarkovic" wrote in message
Ok. So far I am looking at

[...]

Though I have never owned a Dobsonian, this is the way I would go.

An XT 10 Intellescope would be even more better !!!

Allan

--
Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will

Old July 10th 05, 01:26 PM
Larry Stedman

Welcome to s.a.a.!

For years, the standard advice has been a 6" or 8" dob... and it still
makes lots of sense. There are lots of choices. Many companies make or
import dobs: Discovery, Orion, Hardin (what's left of their inventory),
Celestron, etc.. You can always add computerized object locaters later
on. You can find used telescopes at a reasonable prices on Astromart.

The Intelliscope series from Orion would give you an option for a later
easy, modestly priced, digital setting circle add-on. It would make
your scope "push-to". (Although some have reported that the DSC unit
doesn't work that well in colder climes.) Other dobs also can take
object locaters (what are called DSCs--digital setting circles), which
are pricier, but will you give a richer set of features. Go-to
telescopes tend to be pricey and don't get you as much aperture size for
your money. While many find go-tos useful and recommend them for
novices, many believe as I do that you're better off skipping them. Few
people get into this hobby knowing where things are. You learn as you
go. Then later you can add push-to DSCs and you'll value them more!

Investing in aperture (rather than go-to), a Telrad (projects rede
circles against the sky so you can easily position the scope), and some
Telrad finder charts (showing you where to find objects given the Telrad
circles) will set you up well. With books such as Turn Left at Orion or
Nigh****ch, you'll also have another guided way of finding things.

You should talk more with Starlord, as having an experienced,
knowledgeable contact will help you. If there is a club near you, you
can go to a public night and see lots of scopes in action. First-hand
experience is invaluable in deciding what's best for you.

There are lots of beginner's buying guides on the net... just Google
for FAQs, beginner telescope recommendations, etc. Check out Orion's
catalog and web site for information about scopes generally (they'll
send you a copy free)... Sky & Telescope also has good introductory
material. There are small scope and beginner's forums on such astro
boards as Cloudy Nights (check out Astromart forums, too).

In hard copy, books such as The Backyard Astronomer's Guide (& StarWare
& others ) will cover the astro gamut well and teach you a lot about
type of scopes and picking a good starter one.

Don't get hung up on picking an ideal first scope. Many people in this
hobby go through several scopes before finding the one or two (or 3 or
4) that they really like and hang on to. It takes experience with a
scope to really figure out its pros and cons and what suits you best.
You probably will have to own for a while to discover that. Still, as
a first scope, you generally can't go wrong making it a 6" or 8"
Dobsonian.

Good luck and feel free to ask us more questions. And let us know down
the road what you get and how you like it!

Larry Stedman
Vestal
Old July 10th 05, 05:50 PM
Zarkovic

Damn Larry, just when I was sure to go the "go-to", in comes your argument.
Anyhow, you are right and that's why I would want to get XT8 from orion for
$499 USD, without the go to function vs. XT6 with a go to function for $459
USD. Here is my dilemma: It definetly makes sense that bigger aperture to at
least be able to see some detail, and even though there are hunderds of
millions of stars in our own galaxy, but I don't think I would be able to
find any planetary nebulae, solar planets (except the ones visible by eye)
and so forth. But then again, I do own Starry Night Pro 4.5 version, so
mabye that would help me somehow. I just basically don't know where to look
to see the 'good stuff', yet I am ambitious and wanna do as much and see as
much with my scope. But then again, I am sure I wouldn't be using the go-to
function all the time. So the trade off would be at getting a big aperture
scope vs. the go to function in my first scope when I immidiatelly purchase
it. So yea, now I am changing my mind constantly, but I am in no hurry, as
long as I get it within next 3 or 4 months. By the way, what season is the
best to views the sky on, I heard winter but I guess every clear night is a
good time to do it? Thank you all again.