X-43A flight delayed.

Old March 15th 04, 01:43 AM
Kent Betts

Default X-43A flight delayed.

"Richard Schumacher"

The X-43A is a high-risk, high-payoff flight research program.

My goodness. I wonder how many of the people involved in the program
really believe this? Does this claim help funding?

Hell yeah. I like the "high risk" meaning there is a better than even
chance it will never work.

And "high payoff" meaning that even thought it probably won't work, you
should still feel justified in throwing the odd $billion in our direction.

Old March 15th 04, 04:33 AM
Richard Schumacher

Kent Betts wrote:

The X-43A is a high-risk, high-payoff flight research program.

My goodness. I wonder how many of the people involved in the program
really believe this? Does this claim help funding?

Hell yeah. I like the "high risk" meaning there is a better than even
chance it will never work.

There's no doubt it's high-risk...

And "high payoff" meaning that even thought it probably won't work, you
should still feel justified in throwing the odd $billion in our direction.

Assuming for sake of argument it can ever be made to work, the only sensible
applications for a scramjet are military. X-43A ought to be paid by the DoD
budget, not NASA's.

Old May 1st 04, 01:16 AM
stephen voss

Default Could the DC-X program be restarted?

The DC-X and DC-XA programs were very successful test programs (up
until the vehicle was lost due to a ground processing error). What
never showed up was funding for a follow-on DC-Y vehicle. Instead,
NASA gave us X-33. :-P

Jeff

Well could it be restarted?
Old May 1st 04, 02:40 AM
Jorge R. Frank

stephen voss wrote in
:

The DC-X and DC-XA programs were very successful test programs (up
until the vehicle was lost due to a ground processing error). What
never showed up was funding for a follow-on DC-Y vehicle. Instead,
NASA gave us X-33. :-P

Jeff

Well could it be restarted?

McDonnell Douglas built DC-X, but they were later bought out by Boeing. I
doubt Boeing kept the DC-X team together, and I doubt they have much
motivation to revive the program.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old May 12th 04, 01:29 AM
pat bahn

stephen voss wrote in message ...
The DC-X and DC-XA programs were very successful test programs (up
until the vehicle was lost due to a ground processing error). What
never showed up was funding for a follow-on DC-Y vehicle. Instead,
NASA gave us X-33. :-P

Jeff

Well could it be restarted?

Has been

www.tgv-rockets.com
Old May 12th 04, 02:39 AM
Mike Walsh

"pat bahn" wrote in message
m...
stephen voss wrote in message

The DC-X and DC-XA programs were very successful test programs (up
until the vehicle was lost due to a ground processing error). What
never showed up was funding for a follow-on DC-Y vehicle. Instead,
NASA gave us X-33. :-P

Jeff

Well could it be restarted?

Has been

www.tgv-rockets.com

I can't complain about Pat Bahn's program and
vehicle.

However, I think Pat is going in for a bit of hype.

Please somehow prove me wrong.

Mike Walsh

Old May 14th 04, 12:29 AM
pat bahn

"Mike Walsh" wrote in message ...
"pat bahn" wrote in message
m...
stephen voss wrote in message

The DC-X and DC-XA programs were very successful test programs (up
until the vehicle was lost due to a ground processing error). What
never showed up was funding for a follow-on DC-Y vehicle. Instead,
NASA gave us X-33. :-P

Jeff

Well could it be restarted?

Has been

www.tgv-rockets.com

I can't complain about Pat Bahn's program and
vehicle.

However, I think Pat is going in for a bit of hype.

Please somehow prove me wrong.

Mike Walsh

http://www.tgv-rockets.com/frm_opp.htm

TGV Rockets is looking for talent! Persons with experience in Aircraft
AND Missile systems, particularly supersonic flight vehicles, are
encouraged to apply via ASCII TEXT resumes to .
All technical positions are located in the Oklahoma City metropolitan
area. Relocation assistance is available.

We are currently seeking to fill the following positions*:

Project Manager
Lead Aerodynamics
Lead Flight Controls Engineer
Lead Handling Qualities Engineer