Premium mirror not so good

Old December 5th 04, 12:28 AM
Jan Owen

"Bill Becker" wrote in message

"Darren Drake" wrote in message
om...
I believe Royce puts out great mirrors and wouldn't hesitate to
recommend him. I didn't want to give out any names originally and I'm
sorry I did. If he had been given the opportunity to fix a poorly
figuered mirror I'm sure he would have. But because of the scratch it
would have come at a high cost. I am now enjoying the process of
refigureing it as it has been a while since I worked on a mirror.

Hmmm...I would have contacted Mr. Royce about the mirror just because he
*is* the kind of guy who *does* take great pride in his workmanship.
Bypassing him, to me, seems to be a great disservice. jmho.

Best regards,
Bill

Exactly.
--
Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.662
Longitude: -112.3272

Old December 5th 04, 08:34 PM
Bill Becker

"Darren Drake" wrote in message
om...
He would have CHARGED a lot for the scratch. Fixing that requires
going back to grinding. I can do that for nothing working with Dan.
I want more experience in the mirror making shop any ways.

So, the scratch is pretty bad, eh? Bad enough to make it perform poorly
during a star test?
A legitimate question on my part as I have minimal understanding of optics
and I certainly have no desire to get under your skin.

Best regards,
Bill

Old December 5th 04, 11:28 PM
Greg Crinklaw

Darren Drake wrote:
He would have CHARGED a lot for the scratch. Fixing that requires
going back to grinding. I can do that for nothing working with Dan.
I want more experience in the mirror making shop any ways.

But that's just the thing--even a deep scratch would mean very little at
the eyepiece... chances are you'd never be able to detect any
difference. What perfectionists will tell you aside, its really too bad
the guy gave up on the scope over something as ultimately meaningless as
a scratch. Hell, the 107" at McDonald has bullet holes in it...

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools Software for the Observer:
http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html

Skyhound Observing Pages:
http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html

To reply have a physician remove your spleen
Old December 6th 04, 12:22 AM
Dan Mckenna

Greg Crinklaw wrote:
Darren Drake wrote:

He would have CHARGED a lot for the scratch. Fixing that requires
going back to grinding. I can do that for nothing working with Dan. I
want more experience in the mirror making shop any ways.

But that's just the thing--even a deep scratch would mean very little at
the eyepiece... chances are you'd never be able to detect any
difference. What perfectionists will tell you aside, its really too bad
the guy gave up on the scope over something as ultimately meaningless as
a scratch. Hell, the 107" at McDonald has bullet holes in it...

I seem to recall it has also 1 blow from a 5 pound sledge hammer
as well. The man meant business.

It's a quartz mirror or so I was told and the center hole
plug was used to make the 30 " as well.

This and more could be wrong as it is stored in my fading
memory. (32 years ago ?)

Dan
Old December 6th 04, 02:24 AM
Jan Owen

Exactly!

Damn! I've said that twice within 24 hours... Does that mean I am kicked
out automatically???

Old December 6th 04, 11:35 PM

I think the intended purpose of this thread is disgraceful. The title
speaks for itself. Premium mirrors are sold on reputation. Most
amateurs can't test well enough to prove the perfomance of a high
quality mirror. Since 8" blanks can be obtained for peanuts almost
anywhere. Why destroy the only evidence of a poor mirror surface
without contacting the vendor first? Why did the original owner not
contact the vendor? Why wasn't the vendor given a chance to test and
explain the surface? Perhaps to offer to remove the scratch as an act
of goodwill? If he accepted responsibility for the claimed poor surface
in the first place.
The vendor's reputation has probably been dented in a very precisely
targetted forum by a word of mouth claim from someone who hasn't the
skill to test or impove the mirror surface himself, without expert
help. If the OP gets sued for libel he hasn't a leg to stand on. He
can no longer prove the quality (or otherwise) of the mirror surface.
Will his expert friend stand up beside him in court and swear that the
mirror was poor? What proof will he have? A few subjective figures
scribbled on some paper? Is there photographic evidence? Is there even
clear proof of the origin of this mirror?

Chris.B

Old December 7th 04, 01:33 AM

You gotta love this forum! A guy says he doesn't want
to state the mirror makers name, several people jump
him for not doing so, he finally relents and spills the name,
then people jump him for doing it.

Ya just can't win.

oups.com...

Old December 7th 04, 01:55 AM
Bill Becker

wrote in message
news:1102383210.67965b8183bbe0b3040d6a80355619fd@t eranews...
You gotta love this forum! A guy says he doesn't want
to state the mirror makers name, several people jump
him for not doing so, he finally relents and spills the name,
then people jump him for doing it.

Ya just can't win.

Like the OP really didn't think he'd end up revealing the name of the mirror
maker when he started this thread. He knew very well that he would. With a
minimum amount of pressure, imho.

Best regards,
Bill

UFO Activities from Biblical Times (Long Text) Kazmer Ujvarosy UK Astronomy 3 December 25th 03 10:41 PM
a good star book ?? Karl Misc 1 December 9th 03 07:53 PM
Requirements / process to become a shuttle astronaut? Dan Huizenga Space Shuttle 11 November 14th 03 07:33 AM
f/5 or f/8 newtonian? Patrick Amateur Astronomy 52 October 6th 03 12:46 AM
FS: Old Astronomy Books, 23 books at $2 - $6 each Oldbooks78 Amateur Astronomy 0 October 3rd 03 07:54 PM