LED streelights

Old November 29th 16, 05:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Default LED streelights

I just drove home from Norwich on a main read with new LED streetlights.
They are superb. Shielding is very good and distant lamps are only visible
by a vertical line where the LEDs illuminate the lampposts. The occasional
old low and high pressure sodium lamps show by their glare just how much
better the new lighting is.

Old November 29th 16, 05:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 17:14:42 -0000 (UTC), Mike Collins
wrote:

I just drove home from Norwich on a main read with new LED streetlights.
They are superb. Shielding is very good and distant lamps are only visible
by a vertical line where the LEDs illuminate the lampposts. The occasional
old low and high pressure sodium lamps show by their glare just how much
better the new lighting is.

In the long run, once all the issues are addressed, LED streetlights
are going to be wonderful. Much more efficient, and much more
manageable. I love the way some cities are implementing systems that
turn off some of the lights at certain times, and selectively dim
lights when the traffic drops. These options are largely unavailable
with any other technology. And new lights (of any design) tend to
utilize much better shielding and light directing technology.
Old November 30th 16, 07:06 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Tuesday, 29 November 2016 12:16:02 UTC-5, Mike Collins wrote:
I just drove home from Norwich on a main read with new LED streetlights.
They are superb. Shielding is very good and distant lamps are only visible
by a vertical line where the LEDs illuminate the lampposts. The occasional
old low and high pressure sodium lamps show by their glare just how much
better the new lighting is.

That's the good part. Bad part is they can't be shot out with one bullet.
Old November 30th 16, 07:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Wednesday, 30 November 2016 08:06:36 UTC+1, RichA wrote:

.... Bad part is they can't be shot out with one bullet.

Your armory appears to be seriously underdeveloped..

Or you are just a very poor shot?

Old November 30th 16, 09:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 12:19:55 PM UTC-5, Chris L Peterson wrote:

In the long run, once all the issues are addressed,

Dream on.

LED streetlights are going to be wonderful.

They are going to be -everywhere-. There is no such thing as a "wonderful" streetlight.

Old November 30th 16, 05:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Wednesday, 30 November 2016 16:05:10 UTC+1, Chris L Peterson wrote:

Streetlights are a social necessity. There is no reason to think there
will be more of them with LED sources, but the overall system will
result in safer cities and darker skies. I consider that "wonderful".

I have long been an advocate of proximity sensing of pedestrians where streetlights are concerned.
A similar situation holds with so-called "security" lights.
Which are usually no better than constant floodlighting.
Proximity sensors, with short period timers, would warn the whole street of a pedestrian and their steady progress.
As would security lights coming on with illegal or animal trespass.

The savings in light pollution and energy would soon mount up.
No doubt the cost, efficacy, range and energy efficiency of sensors would rapidly improve if there was a global market for such things.

My rural neighbours often leave their "security" lights on all day from well before dawn in readiness for their return, by car, after work and after dark.
These rows of lights are often left on all evening and all night as well.
The effect is one of a permanent "Close Encounters" landing strip.

Lights coming on from pitch darkness is a change of state which readily attracts everybody's attention.
Lights which remain on merely light the burglar's path.
And, identify homes with absent owners during daytime hours.

A burglar need only knock on the door during daytime to remind the patient house cat that the security lights have been left on.
The perfect excuse for a burglar testing a home's *real* security level without risk of discovery if the door should be unexpectedly answered.
"I was just passing when I noticed you had forgotten to turn off your security lights."
Oh, the perfect irony!
Old November 30th 16, 11:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Chris.B wrote:
[...]

I experience proximity sensors on streetlights in Prague in the 1990s. It's
a creepy experience walking down a street in a personalised pool of light.
In my own road there is a substitute for this. The security lights on most
of the houses (not mine) come on when people walk down the street. Most the
people walking dogs have head torches as well. The strangest sight is a
small dog who has only 3 legs. It's walking frame has two LED torches
attached about 30 cm from the ground.

Old November 30th 16, 11:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

wrote:
On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 10:05:10 AM UTC-5, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 01:37:30 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 12:19:55 PM UTC-5, Chris L Peterson wrote:

In the long run, once all the issues are addressed,

Dream on.

LED streetlights are going to be wonderful.

They are going to be -everywhere-. There is no such thing as a "wonderful" streetlight.

Streetlights are a social necessity.

Have some installed along the roads near your house.

There is no reason to think there
will be more of them with LED sources,

There is every reason to think that there will be more of them and in more places.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...ciency-dilemma

That article is just garbage. I don't drive more because I have a more fuel
efficient car. I don't have more lights turned on because I have replaced
800W of incandescent bulbs with 60W of LED bulbs.
When I replaced my fridge I did put the old one in the garage to use as an
overflow but I left it unplugged and eventually recycled it when I found it
hadn't been used for two years.

but the overall system will
result in safer cities and darker skies.

Lights than turn on as pedestrians approach will alert criminals hiding in the shadows.

I consider that "wonderful".

It won't happen.