Truss tube design?

Old December 28th 03, 04:23 AM
starman

Default Truss tube design?

I have the parts for making an open truss telescope tube for a 10-inch
f-5.6 mirror. I plan to use eight 3/4-inch dia. aluminum tubes in pairs
to make the angled supporting trusses between the upper and lower body
tubes, which are 12-inch dia. thin wall plastic PVC. My question is how
best to attach the aluminum truss tubing to the body tubes. I'd prefer
to make some kind of adapter for the ends of each truss tube rather than
just flattening the ends. I would appreciate your suggestions on this
subject along with ideas on how to reinforce the plastic body tubes so
they will remain round under load.

Thanks

Old December 28th 03, 04:34 PM
Starstuffed

If Starlord replies then we'll have an open cluster right here on SAA!!!!!!

--
Martin
Remove "ilikestars" from email address to reply

Old December 28th 03, 06:24 PM
starburst

There's an interesting technique on this page:

http://home.att.net/~JEKasunich/truss.htm

Cheap, repeatable and effective. Looks cool, too. And no loose parts to
lose!

Good luck - Chris

Old January 1st 04, 08:10 AM
starman

Len Philpot wrote:

In article , says...
I have the parts for making an open truss telescope tube for a 10-inch
f-5.6 mirror. I plan to use eight 3/4-inch dia. aluminum tubes in pairs
to make the angled supporting trusses between the upper and lower body
tubes, which are 12-inch dia. thin wall plastic PVC. My question is how
best to attach the aluminum truss tubing to the body tubes. I'd prefer
to make some kind of adapter for the ends of each truss tube rather than
just flattening the ends. I would appreciate your suggestions on this
subject along with ideas on how to reinforce the plastic body tubes so
they will remain round under load.

Without going into endless detail here, I'd /strongly/ recommend
purchasing and reading _The Dobsonian Telescope_, by David Kriege and
Richard Berry (before you build). LOTS of good info in there, including
exactly what you're asking. With the exception of a section on an 8"
Dob, it's biased toward large aperture truss scopes, but it's full of
real good stuff nonetheless.

You can get the book from Willmann-Bell at
http://www.willbell.com/tm/dobtel.htm

There's also a listing of the Table of Contents there that will give
you a good idea of the book's coverage of the subject.

Thanks. Do you know what year is the latest edition?

Old January 1st 04, 08:10 AM
starman

In article , says...

Old January 1st 04, 08:10 AM