Explaining the Zodiacal Light

Old March 2nd 11, 05:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. eWatson[_2_]

Default Explaining the Zodiacal Light

I've seen a number of explanations on Subject, but none on the geometry
of it, nor any animated videos. I did find via Google a Popular Science
article from decades that discusses a model someone made, but the
article cannot be printed from my machine. Comments?
Old March 2nd 11, 06:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_39_]

"W. eWatson" wrote in message
| I've seen a number of explanations on Subject, but none on the geometry
| of it, nor any animated videos. I did find via Google a Popular Science
| article from decades that discusses a model someone made, but the
| article cannot be printed from my machine. Comments?

http://www.solstation.com/stars/ast2belt.gif
Mars and Jupiter reflect sunlight, that's why you can see them.
So do all the asteroids, but they are much smaller and there are
many more of them. The result is a faint glow that extends around
the plane of the planets. The zodiac is the set of stars that we see
which the planets pass in front of, sectioned up into the familiar
constellations Aquarius, Pisces, Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer,
Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn.
Since the asteroids also pass in front of the zodiac we call seeing
them "zodiacal light".
The constellations are real but fortune-telling from them is hocus
pocus.

Old March 2nd 11, 10:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William Hamblen[_2_]

On 2011-03-02, W. eWatson wrote:
I've seen a number of explanations on Subject, but none on the geometry
of it, nor any animated videos. I did find via Google a Popular Science
article from decades that discusses a model someone made, but the
article cannot be printed from my machine. Comments?

Comments? About what?

Give the SAO/NASA abstract service a go: http://www.adsabs.harvard.edu/abstract_service.html

Bud
Old March 2nd 11, 10:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. eWatson[_2_]

On 2011-03-02, W. wrote:
I've seen a number of explanations on Subject, but none on the geometry
of it, nor any animated videos. I did find via Google a Popular Science
article from decades that discusses a model someone made, but the
article cannot be printed from my machine. Comments?

Comments? About what?

Give the SAO/NASA abstract service a go:http://www.adsabs.harvard.edu/abstract_service.html

Bud

Explaining Z light--to the general public.
Old March 3rd 11, 01:15 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William Hamblen[_2_]

On 2011-03-02, W. wrote:
I've seen a number of explanations on Subject, but none on the geometry
of it, nor any animated videos. I did find via Google a Popular Science
article from decades that discusses a model someone made, but the
article cannot be printed from my machine. Comments?

Comments? About what?

Give the SAO/NASA abstract service a go:http://www.adsabs.harvard.edu/abstract_service.html

Bud

Explaining Z light--to the general public.

Before the phantom of False morning died,
Methought a Voice within the Tavern cried,
"When all the Temple is prepared within,
"Why nods the drowsy Worshiper outside?"

Bud

Old March 3rd 11, 01:26 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. eWatson[_2_]

On 2011-03-02, W. wrote:
I've seen a number of explanations on Subject, but none on the geometry
of it, nor any animated videos. I did find via Google a Popular Science
article from decades that discusses a model someone made, but the
article cannot be printed from my machine. Comments?

Comments? About what?

Give the SAO/NASA abstract service a go:http://www.adsabs.harvard.edu/abstract_service.html

Bud

Explaining Z light--to the general public.

Before the phantom of False morning died,
Methought a Voice within the Tavern cried,
"When all the Temple is prepared within,
"Why nods the drowsy Worshiper outside?"

Bud

I think I might have heard that before.

This site does a very good job.
http://www.armaghplanet.com/blog/have-you-seen-the-zodiacal-light.html