[gse-aa] Auroral Alert

Old July 28th 05, 01:23 AM
Sam Wormley

Default [gse-aa] Auroral Alert

There is an active region on the sun that has been sending significant shock
waves into interplanetary space facing away from Earth for the past two
weeks. This active region, AR 0786, is now on the east limb of the sun and
will be in sight of Earth for the next two weeks.

The effects of some of the latest events that occurred while AR 0786 was
coming around the east limb are reaching Earth now. Because it has been
facing away from Earth, these effects were less than what we expect for the
coming two week period. We are already seeing disturbances as far
equatorward as the US Canadian border and southern Scandinavia (Kp=4), so
there should be auroral activity at lower latitudes during the next two
weeks as this active region faces Earth.

We will try to alert you if there are some large events. In the meantime,
watch the poleward night sky.

Dr. Charles Deehr, Prof. Emer. Phys. Ph. 907 474 7473 Fax 907 474 7290
email
The Geophysical Institute
University of Alaska Fairbanks
903 Koyukuk Ave N