modified sleeping bags or compatible material/ insulation??

Old December 6th 04, 05:49 AM
Pat O'Connell

Nakomas wrote:

Ashley Waterstein wrote:

After reviewing the answers to my previous post about imaging from
indoors, I've decided to stay with the scope during planetary
imaging like I always have. There is something I'm wondering about
though. As I mentioned before, it gets very cold here during the
Wintertime and I really haven't found a good (and cheap) solution
for keeping the cold away for extended periods (2-3 hours below
freezing)) when I'm at the scope. At my local department store the
other day, I got to looking at sleeping bags. I notice different
types have temperature ratings down to 15 deg F. This might be the
solution I need. Can a sleeping bag be modified to turn it into a
suit? This would basically involve cutting holes in it for the arms
and legs I would think or maybe there's a better way. Or, does
anyone know actual outdoor clothing that would do the equivalent to
what a sleeping bag does?

I think I've seen a sleeping bag/jacket combination touted in a past
issue of Backpacker Magazine (within the last year or two). Check your
local library.

A good used -30 snow mobiler's suit with hood! Get it oversized.

Or downhill skiwear, if you have some of that around. I have a Head
Thinsulate/Goretex coat that would be great for this purpose, if I also
had insulated pants.

Incidentally, take a hint from backpackers. Dress in layers that you put
on and take off as temperatures change. Wear acrylic, silk, or wool
underwear and socks. Don't wear cotton underwear or clothing, as it
doesn't insulate when it gets damp. Bring a thermos of a hot beverage along.

--
Pat O'Connell
[note munged EMail address]
Old December 6th 04, 12:20 PM

I'm a great believer in down clothing. It used to be terribly expensive
when it was used purely for high altitude mountaineering. But when down
jackets became fashionable the price dropped dramatically for what are
still superbly warm jackets. My wife has just reminded me that I now
have 12 duvet (down) jackets! No mention of how many down waitcoats I
own though. ;-)

I hate feeling bundled up in multiple layers of clothing. Down is the
lightest and most flexible filling available. For moderate cold down to
-10C I wear a t-shirt and thin jumper. Wadding insulated trousers and a
down waistcoat under a down jacket. I don't usually bother with the
down hoods because I get too warm! Despite sitting almost still for
hours staring at the same thing through the telescope.

On my head I wear a woollen tea-cosy hat over a balaclava (ski hood?)
The balaclava keeps the warmth inside the important neck area where you
have large blood vessels and no fat to insulate.

I made my own wadding jackets from sleeping bags decades ago. When I
couldn't afford the real down stuff for camping & climbing in winter.
Much too stiff for my liking.

I'd look for down fashion jackets in slight oversizes to allow room
for down waistcoats beneath. Buy the thickest, purest down jacket you
can afford. You should look like the old Michelin Man with a good
jacket! With good down you can't feel any feather stalks when you
squash the clothing between your fingers. Duck down is good. But goose
down is better. Real Eider Down will bankrupt you unless you are in the
big APO league.:-)

I hate gloves and usually just stuff my hands in my jacket pockets.
Avoiding contact with cold metal is important. It feels more like a
burn and takes half an hour to recover.

My record for cold temperature observing was -22C. As measured on two
digital thermometers hanging from the scope. The air temperature was
slightly colder than the snow covered ground. Keeping the eyepieces
clear of dew was almost impossible. My extension cable out to the
telescope becomes as stiff as wire below -10C making it impossible to
coil it back up until it thawed.

I don't observe in cold and wind. Too much like hard work. Fortunately
it is usually dead calm at these low temperatures around her.

Chris.B
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...k4/index.jhtml

Old December 6th 04, 06:08 PM
Kruger Kid

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 12:40:08 -0500, "Jim Miller"
wrote:

go to a store that caters to hunters and get the one piece insulated
overalls with a hood. these let you avoid the gap at waist that comes from
wearing separate top and bottom garments as well as the gap at the shirt/hat
line. they make a huge difference in comfort when in the cold. they have
well designed flaps in the front to seal the zipper area. you can get
different weights for different cold conditions.

also an online store like www.cabelas.com carries them if a hunting store is
not nearby.

good luck

jtm

And if you are still cold in a insulated overalls....
Try
Rocky® Zip-Up Heater Vest. Runs on 12volts.
Item #QR-941747
At www.cabelas.com
or this...
http://www.fishalberta.com/multiheater/sportsman.htm
Although I have never used these items myself the vest sounds
intriguing.

KK