Atmospheric thickness

Old September 24th 12, 09:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. eWatson[_2_]

Default Atmospheric thickness

Is there a tool or graph that shows the thickness of the atmosphere at
various elevations and accounts for the altitude of the observatory?
Old September 25th 12, 03:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William Hamblen[_2_]

On 2012-09-24, W. eWatson wrote:

Is there a tool or graph that shows the thickness of the atmosphere at
various elevations and accounts for the altitude of the observatory?

There's the US Standard Atmosphere model. Give it an altitude and it
will return the density, pressure and speed of sound. References are
on Wikipedia.

Bud
Old September 25th 12, 11:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. eWatson[_2_]

On 2012-09-24, W. eWatson wrote:

Is there a tool or graph that shows the thickness of the atmosphere at
various elevations and accounts for the altitude of the observatory?

There's the US Standard Atmosphere model. Give it an altitude and it
will return the density, pressure and speed of sound. References are
on Wikipedia.

Bud

I do not see any on Wikipedia links that have an input.
Old September 26th 12, 01:17 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sjouke Burry[_3_]

"W. eWatson" wrote in news:k3tcb9$ecf$1@dont-
email.me:

On 2012-09-24, W. eWatson wrote:

Is there a tool or graph that shows the thickness of the atmosphere

at
various elevations and accounts for the altitude of the observatory?

There's the US Standard Atmosphere model. Give it an altitude and it
will return the density, pressure and speed of sound. References are
on Wikipedia.

Bud

I do not see any on Wikipedia links that have an input.

Google "standard atmospheric density profile",
3.5 milion answers.
Old September 26th 12, 11:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On 2012-09-24, W. eWatson wrote:

Is there a tool or graph that shows the thickness of the

atmosphere at
various elevations and accounts for the altitude of the

observatory?

There's the US Standard Atmosphere model. Give it an altitude

and it
will return the density, pressure and speed of sound. References

are
on Wikipedia.

Bud

I do not see any on Wikipedia links that have an input.

But there are graphs at Wikipedia. As well as on other sites.
Old September 30th 12, 11:43 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

http://www.denysschen.com/catalogue/density.aspx

Old September 30th 12, 07:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. eWatson[_2_]

On 9/30/2012 3:43 AM, wrote:
On Sep 24, 4:39 pm, "W. eWatson" wrote:
Is there a tool or graph that shows the thickness of the atmosphere at
various elevations and accounts for the altitude of the observatory?

http://www.denysschen.com/catalogue/density.aspx

Looking at what elevation above the horizon?
Old September 30th 12, 08:05 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. eWatson[_2_]

Default Atmospheric thickness (rewrite)

It seems what I'm after is misinterpreted. I was talking with a friend
about some variable star work he does at his domed observatory. Somehow
I asked him at what is the lowest elevation he surveys. He said 30
degrees, about two atmospheres of thickness. He then said," maybe near
the horizon, it's 47 thickness." That's what I'm looking for.

How many thickness of atmosphere will I see from zero to ninety degrees
above the horizon.

Old September 30th 12, 08:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway[_2_]

"W. eWatson" wrote in message ...
It seems what I'm after is misinterpreted. I was talking with a friend
about some variable star work he does at his domed observatory. Somehow
I asked him at what is the lowest elevation he surveys. He said 30
degrees, about two atmospheres of thickness. He then said," maybe near
the horizon, it's 47 thickness." That's what I'm looking for.

How many thickness of atmosphere will I see from zero to ninety degrees
above the horizon.

Straight up (90 degrees) one atmosphere from sea level, less on a mountain top.

As you tilt over, 45 degrees gives you sqrt( 1 atm ^2 + 1 atm ^2) = 1.414
atmospheres by Pythagoras.
At 30 degrees, sin (30) = 0.5, so two atmospheres.
At zero degrees (telescope pointed at the horizon) you need to take into
account the curvature of the Earth, but I don’t waste any more time on a
useless lazy twerp that wants it all handed to him on a plate so that he can
argue the point.

-- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway

Old October 1st 12, 06:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. eWatson[_2_]

On 9/30/2012 11:58 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
On 9/30/2012 3:43 AM, wrote:
On Sep 24, 4:39 pm, "W. eWatson" wrote:
Is there a tool or graph that shows the thickness of the atmosphere at
various elevations and accounts for the altitude of the observatory?

http://www.denysschen.com/catalogue/density.aspx

Looking at what elevation above the horizon?

Read what I have to say at my 12:05 pm (rewrite) post. Elevation, as in
elevation above the horizon, or as in az/el.