Difference between two minor planet data files?

Old September 23rd 12, 04:09 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. eWatson[_2_]

Default Difference between two minor planet data files?

What is the difference between MPCORB.DAT and ASTORB.DAT? Do they
contain completely different sets of MPs, or were produced differently
in some way?
Old September 23rd 12, 02:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 9/22/12 10:09 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
MPCORB.DAT and ASTORB.DAT

Old September 24th 12, 01:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. eWatson[_2_]

On 9/23/2012 6:01 AM, Sam Wormley wrote:
On 9/22/12 10:09 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
MPCORB.DAT and ASTORB.DAT

Thanks.
The link given there is broken, but there is a brief description. I
found this:
Some people are apt to wonder why this database is used instead of the
Lowell Observatory ASTORB dataset. mpcorb has several advantages over
ASTORB. mpcorb contains currently visible objects; ASTORB contains a lot
of objects that were observed briefly, long ago, and which are
essentially "lost" now. mpcorb tends to be slightly more up to date
(understandable, since ASTORB is based on waiting for MPC data to
arrive). At some point, I may revise Guide to work with either dataset.
But it does appear that mpcorb is best suited to the use of observers;
this was my primary goal.

in http://www.projectpluto.com/mpcorb.htm#in_guide. There's talk of
Guide and Charon there. I'm guessing those are some sort of databases.
Old September 24th 12, 10:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Per Erik Jorde[_4_]

"W. eWatson" writes:

The link given there is broken

Try
http://asteroid.lowell.edu/cgi-bin/asteph

ASTORB contains a
lot of objects that were observed briefly, long ago, and which are
essentially "lost" now.

I don't think there are many "lost" asteriods left nowadays after
the big surveys have been running for years.

mpcorb tends to be slightly more up to date

astorb is updated daily:
ftp://ftp.lowell.edu/pub/elgb/astorb.html

There's talk of
Guide and Charon there. I'm guessing those are some sort of
databases.

Guide is a star charting software, with option for telescope control.
Charon is (an old) astrometry software by the same author.

pej
--
Per Erik Jorde
Old October 1st 12, 06:05 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. eWatson[_2_]

On 9/24/2012 2:55 PM, Per Erik Jorde wrote:
"W. eWatson" writes:

The link given there is broken

Try
http://asteroid.lowell.edu/cgi-bin/asteph

ASTORB contains a
lot of objects that were observed briefly, long ago, and which are
essentially "lost" now.

I don't think there are many "lost" asteriods left nowadays after
the big surveys have been running for years.

mpcorb tends to be slightly more up to date

astorb is updated daily:
ftp://ftp.lowell.edu/pub/elgb/astorb.html

There's talk of
Guide and Charon there. I'm guessing those are some sort of
databases.

Guide is a star charting software, with option for telescope control.
Charon is (an old) astrometry software by the same author.

pej

I think what is meant by "lost" is that their orbital elements are way
out of date, and useless. Some amateurs try to keep them fresh. It may
better suited for the pros. 500,000+ is a heck of a lot of items to keep
watch on.
Old October 1st 12, 09:18 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Per Erik Jorde[_5_]

"W. eWatson" writes:

I think what is meant by "lost" is that their orbital elements are way
out of date, and useless. Some amateurs try to keep them fresh. It
may better suited for the pros. 500,000+ is a heck of a lot of items
to keep watch on.

It is my understanding that the "old" asteroids are routineously
picked up agasin and again by the large automatic sky surveys
(Spacewatch, LINEAR, LONEOS, Pan-STARRS etc). There is thus no need
to target each and one separately in order to update their orbital
elements.

pej
--
Per Erik Jorde